HD receiver with 18" oval

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Busterw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
I'm curious about something. We have a basic receiver that we use to travel with and an 18" dish.

We recently purchased an HDTV to travel with and have a 4x4 multi-switch. I would really like to use an HD receiver while travelling since it has HDMI and component outputs whereas the basic receiver just has RCA audio and video outs. Can I use an HD receiver without connecting an HD dish to it or must I also have an additional dish that I have to manually point every road trip or can I just use it with my oval? Also, if I HAVE TO have an HD dish, do I have to have something else besides the 4x4 multi-switch?

My other question is do the new DirecTV basic receivers have HDMI and/or component outputs? If so, what is the model numbers on those as I currently have a D11 for travelling?

Last question: If I must have an HD dish, will it even be possible to aim it accurately manually with a GPS and if so, how much of a pain will it be? I'm only travelling a couple hundred miles from home and when I'm there, I can get my home local channels with my 18" oval.

Thanks!

Yes you can use your HD receiver but...you would be a lot better off with a Phase III instead of the single dish as there is more programing available with the Phase III to get your HD programming though it would take one of the Slimlines which I haven't even tried to take camping yet... ;)

OK, educate me: My current travel dish is an 18" dual LNB dish with a 4x4 multi-switch. What is a phase III? Since my local market requires a seperate dish for locals than HD, how would the "phase III" help me. I don't wanna go overboard on expense.

I would rather keep it cheap, and be able to use the higher definition cables than just regular RCA cables for video. I don't care about having HD channels while traveling per se unless the added cost is minimal on what I have to change or add on to my existing travel setup.

Also, how easy is the phase III gonna be to point with just a a GPS. BTW, my mount will be permanent at this location so once I point it, it's there to stay since I go camping there regularly during hunting season and nobody can get there (to steal it) but me.

I'm guessing phase III is the slimline. At home, I currently have to have the 18" oval and a slimline to get locals and HD. Are you saying I would ahve to have the slimline additionally if I wanted HD channels when travelling. If so, will the 4x4 multi still work or do I have to have a different mult-switch as well.

Otherwise, since I doubt I wanna buy a slimline and a different switch, would an HD reciver work without the slimline so I can still get locals while travelling, just not trying to pull in the HD programming?

Just for kicks so I can check ebay for prices, what model slimline and switch would I need if I have to update the switch?

Thanks!

Phase III is the older 3 lnb dish for 101, 110 & 119... with the Dual LNB, you probably get most of the channels you want then... I was thinking the old 101 dish... as for the switch's someone else will have to chime in as I don't have them. an AU or AT9 no switch should do the trick..

So you're saying I COULD or WOULD HAVE TO replace the LNB with an AU or AT9? Would that work on an 18" oval?

If I just wanted to stick with the 18" Dual LNB and not worry about HD channels, would the new basic receiver have the HDMI or component outputs or would I have to get an HD receiver for that?

Thanks!

OK, just bought a slimline. Can I use my 4x4 multi-switch running an 18" oval and a slimline?

What is the chance I can point a slimline with a GPS?

Thanks!

OK, well correct me. When I got the dual LNB dish, I was told on here I had to have the 4x4 switch. That info is in my other recently posted to thread that is old witha travelling type subject. Why do I not need it now after using a 2 dish setup but I did with the 18" dual?

How will I get all of the connections to the receiver without a switch going from 2 on the 18" and 4 connections from the KA/KU? Seems like I would have to have some type of multi-switch? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

I'm curious about something. We have a basic receiver that we use to travel with and an 18" dish.

We recently purchased an HDTV to travel with and have a 4x4 multi-switch. I would really like to use an HD receiver while travelling since it has HDMI and component outputs whereas the basic receiver just has RCA audio and video outs. Can I use an HD receiver without connecting an HD dish to it or must I also have an additional dish that I have to manually point every road trip or can I just use it with my oval? Also, if I HAVE TO have an HD dish, do I have to have something else besides the 4x4 multi-switch?

My other question is do the new DirecTV basic receivers have HDMI and/or component outputs? If so, what is the model numbers on those as I currently have a D11 for travelling?

Last question: If I must have an HD dish, will it even be possible to aim it accurately manually with a GPS and if so, how much of a pain will it be? I'm only travelling a couple hundred miles from home and when I'm there, I can get my home local channels with my 18" oval.

Thanks!
You are wasting your time if you think you're going to improve your SD reception using HDMI out of your HD rec'vr. If you want HD, you'll need a slimline (oval) dish that's capable of receiving 101,99&103. Forget 110 and 119 as they're being phased out. You will have four lines from your dish. Run anyone of them into your HD D* rec'vr and you're in bidness. Of course aiming the oval is another issue. You are vague as to your use. In my case, I tailgate with an 18" and D11 rec'vr. Its not HD obviously but I can set it up in my sleep and on a 32" Vizio outdoors it's decent. Not HD but decent and super EASY. If you are setting up for longer than a day or two that is a different story. Good luck.:cool:

as far as the 4x4 switch goes, all that is (or should be used for) is to combine signals from different satellites (in my market international and standard) into the same cables. To put it simpler, its used in non hi deff international installs, you run the left two inputs from your 18" and the 3rd one from the right from the 95. the farthest right is for the 72.5. And this switch does nothing but combine the 2 sat signals into one coax run. Then on the receiver you just changed the international sat to 'installed' so unless you received an extremely old 4x4 (and im talking 5-10+ years) that is used to combine the 101 and 119 on 18x24 dishes, then you never had a need for it to begin with. This was my first post here and i talk alot, and probably confused the hell out of some people, Ill try to clarify if need be.

~Kitty
D* Tech NJ06/NJ02

Status
Please reply by conversation.