HD Reception Improved with 2nd Dish

retexan599

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Sugar Land, TX
I had been having frequent signal loss with several HD channels on the 129 satellite. DISH made adjustments about a year ago, but signal strengths were always spotty. This week I asked them to come out again and see if there was a way to fix the problem permanently. The arrangement I had was a single dish with three LNB’s: 110, 119, & 129. The DISH technician came out and this is what he did:
· First, made adjustments on the roof and observed results on the TV signal strengths.
· Agreed that my 129 readings were way too low.
· Said the old dish on the roof was an older model; asked me how long it had been up there, I told him since I moved here in early 2002; Referred to a more streamlined dish used nowadays.
· He asked how often the problem happened, was it constant, I said yes.
· He then recommended putting up a 2nd dish on the roof, was that ok with me, I said yes. He said he just happened to have a spare dish in his truck from another job.
· The new dish is now aimed at their 61.5° satellite; this is now the source of my HD channels; no more flaky 129° signals!
· He said it was very difficult to adjust the original single dish for optimum reception on all three satellites at once. With the new setup, the original dish is capturing 110 & 119; the new satellite is capturing the 61.5.
· Reception has been excellent on all my HD channels since the installation with no signal losses.
· There is no charge for the 2nd dish. He gave me his cell phone number in case I have problems within next 90 days.
· When looking at signal strengths, he said to add ’30 points’ to get the real number, since DISH revised the display. All my numbers are in the region of 50+30 = 80 now.
· A good experience, just wanted to share it.

I had been having frequent signal loss with several HD channels on the 129 satellite. DISH made adjustments about a year ago, but signal strengths were always spotty. This week I asked them to come out again and see if there was a way to fix the problem permanently. The arrangement I had was a single dish with three LNB’s: 110, 119, & 129. The DISH technician came out and this is what he did: Agreed that my 129 readings were way too low.
Said the old dish on the roof was an older model; asked me how long it had been up there, I told him since I moved here in early 2002; Referred to a more streamlined dish used nowadays.
The new dish is now aimed at their 61.5° satellite; this is now the source of my HD channels; no more flaky 129° signals!

I assume the new dish he was talking about is the 1000.2. Actually, it's slightly bigger, not streamlined.

Yes. 129 is horrible. Many of us wished that the "kenetic kill vehicle" would have missed the spy sat and took 129 out instead! The problem for me is that the Dallas locals are on 129 and not 61.5.

Actually, now that I'm dropping Dish to HD Only and getting DirecTV, now might be a good time to drop the Dish 1000 and put up a Dish 500 and aim it at 61.5!

Interesting. We just got our DISH installed a couple weeks ago, with I believe the 1000 w/ 3 lnb's @ 110, 119 & 129. Our HD channels clarity is not quite what I had expected, so just got an HDMI cable today that I ordered, but doesn't seem to make a big improvement. I have a 500 system sitting on a shelf in my basement that came from my parents, just wondering if anyone thinks it would be worth my while to try the same thing.

Been learning a lot out on this forum, but still not up to speed on what channels come from which satellite, or for that matter, what satellites are out there. We live in Wisconsin, if that makes a difference. Have the AT100 w/ HD package, but no locals, get them with OTA antenna.

Does all HD programming come from either 129 or 61.5? If so, I'd be interested throwing the second one up and see if it helps. Only technical question I have is how to incorporate the cable coming from that second dish. We have a 222, with just a single cable feeding it, being "split?" right behind the receiver to input 1 & input 2. Would the additional cable simply go to one of the open ports on the 1000 dish? If I remember from watching the install, there were 4 total, but he only ran cable from 2 of them down to the ground block. From the GB, there is just the single cable to the receiver.

Also, as far as signal strength, what would be the minimum to look for. I believe our 129 was about 47-48 last time I checked, haven't heard about the "+30 factor". 110 & 119 were slightly higher.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Anything around 50 is good signal strength. Dunno for sure what you mean by clarity but unless you mean the picture is pixelating (breaking up into tiny squares) you could put up a dish for each satellite and its not gonna change the pq. With digital you either get it or you don't. Are you sure your HDTV setup on the receiver is set to either 720p or 1080i? Menu-6-8. Also make sure the picture adjustments on your TV are where they should be. Don't overdo it on the brightness & contrast. Good luck!

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)