HD Reciever Advice

CaptMike

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Hello,I'm new to this forum but not to HT.

I currently have DISH and a 60" Mits RPTV. I'm starting to get into the HD mode. From my limited research I have come to the conclusion that I should choose a HD READY set, from the cost standpoint. The answers/ideas that I would like to solicit from this group are:

If HD READY is the way to go...would it make sense to purchase, say a DISH 921 on e-bay?

Is there other HD/DVR receivers better than that mentioned above that could be used with DISH?

Should I stay with DISH programming or are most people doing other things? (Don’t have room for C-Band)

If I went the e-bay route with a DISH HD receiver, would the included SmartCard be a problem or would it just take a phone call to DISH and tell them I'm an existing customer that wants the receiver turned on and that I only want the DISH HD antenna installed?

Thanks for the info

Welcome to sateliiteguys.

you can get a 921 from dishstore.net for 549. if you go through dish, you would have to pay tax. if you deceide to go the ebay way, make sure you check out the feed back of the person you are buying from. while most people on ebay are honest there is always a chance you could get a receiver with ppv purchases on them that would have to be paid before the receiver is activiated.

make sure to do your home work on the 921. there is a specific forum for it here at satellite guys.

I would buy the 921 from some place you trust and can return it if you want. If you read here a few people (myself included) have had issues with the 921. Some Costcos have them for $489 or any Radio Shack can get it for $549. I am returning my buggy one from Dish and ordered one fom Radio Shack. Dish is a pain to deal with, but RS says 30 day no questions asked retun and for $27 they add a second year ont he warranty. That should hold me until the MPEG 4 receivers are ready, since I surely don't beleive Dish will be swapping many out this year. IMO the 921 even when it works is quirky, poor design choices in usability and the damn thing licks up and bogs down every so often, clearly under powered and buggy.

HD Options

Take a look at my comparison between Dish HD w/921 and Adelphia Cable with SA8300HD. It's in a separate post. Beyond that, I'm glad my HD set has a built in tuner so I have the flexibility to do what I want.

CaptMike said:
Hello,I'm new to this forum but not to HT.

I currently have DISH and a 60" Mits RPTV. I'm starting to get into the HD mode. From my limited research I have come to the conclusion that I should choose a HD READY set, from the cost standpoint. The answers/ideas that I would like to solicit from this group are:

If HD READY is the way to go...would it make sense to purchase, say a DISH 921 on e-bay?

Is there other HD/DVR receivers better than that mentioned above that could be used with DISH?

Should I stay with DISH programming or are most people doing other things? (Don’t have room for C-Band)

If I went the e-bay route with a DISH HD receiver, would the included SmartCard be a problem or would it just take a phone call to DISH and tell them I'm an existing customer that wants the receiver turned on and that I only want the DISH HD antenna installed?

Thanks for the info

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts