HD recorder Did they forget to invent one?

Voomster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
SF Bay Area
After I got my HDTV and Voom I felt majorly lost without a HD Tape recorder
or If you may a TiVo Type device --- something or anything that will record one show while I watch an other ... and if that is just light years too advanced of a concept ? at least give me something that will at record a two hour HD Movie so I can play it back at a more convient time !
What's the problem?

Best Buys said they have discontinued selling all HDTV recorders and seems to just laugh at me when I ask to see a selection of HD video recorders

:confused: If they can invent HD Sat / HD TV's are you telling they just foregot the fact that Humans have that inate quality that they just like to record stuff?

You might think NHK bought the sole rights to record HD and they won't share :yes

Steve

What am I missing here?

Steve

That there are all sorts of HD recorders out there, just not for Voom. That you are still on the cutting edge here, and patience is a virtue. And that you can always use a Tivo or Replay to record HD programming at 480, which is still a really nice image to hold you over.

And looking in Best Buy for a HD recorder is not the best place to find one ;)

Speaking of HD recorders (DVHS)

I am getting Voom next week and am also in NEED of the DVR. Anyone know if you can record to the DVHS VCR from the Voom STB (I know you have to have HDCP DVi connections)?

There are a few ways to record currently off of Voom.

1) Standard VCR connected via Svideo, composite, or coax. Obviously the quality is limited to 480.

2) A PVR device such as a Replay or Tivo connected the same as above. Integrates menu functions, time recordings, etc; Digital recording capability, but still only at 480.

3) A WVHS VCR. This is a semi-expensive ($600-$1000) unit that records the analog component output, only at 1080i. It also only records stereo sound. The tapes are fairly expensive too. Nice picture, not quite HD but certainly better than 480.

4) $5500 or so on a system to convert component to SDI, and then capture the SDI feed. Very expensive, very difficult. Great quality, but still not pure digital.

And that's it. There is no firewire on the box. You can't record off the DVI because it's HDCP-protected... even if you had the $20k or so to spend on a device that would record it. Your DVHS deck is only as useful as a normal VCR.

For the money right now, buy a PVR device (I prefer Replay) and use that as a hold over until the Voom DVR is released. The picture quality is excellent, if not HD.

-MP

When I went to the electronics show In NY , a Voom rep said they would be rolling out the DVR's...not the smaller clients ...but the DVR's in July. I havent heard anything since. Anyone hear if the JUly date for the DVR is still on schedule?

Madpoet, you almost have me sold on replay, in the network mode can it store to a snapserver that I have on the network?

I just got another Replay a month ago, it is networked with my first replay and 3 pc's...best thing I ever did. 1st replay has 240 gig (2 drives) second has 40. Have 240 gig on one pc, 160 on my htpc(which I replaced with new replay) and 120 on third. The archiveability boggles the mind :D I'm not sure about a snap server.

Replay's inate abilities (i.e. network port!) and the tons of 3rd party software (DVArchive for show extraction, WiRNS to enable Voom program guides, etc;) make it the clear winner in my mind ;). It's a shame DNNA is not continuing the development. The box is wonderful. I have 2, both connected to my Voom receivers and to my cable feed (still have basic cable). Transitions are seemless, I can stream between them, and of course extract out to a server running DVArchive which can also serve shows for streaming. I've burned many a DVD off of my Replay shows.

I've read on the Tivo site that stand-alone Tivo's can be programmed for Voom except for locals. Of course we're talking SD programming only. Direct TV recently came out with their HDTivo and they are $1000 as I understand.

I noted that I replaced my htpc with a replay in my x1 room. Got to thinking about it and went to avsforum and found a link to a 2 way vga switch and ordered :) and I too have burned dvds of stuff I wanted to keep, its so easy and the quality is still there :)

madpoet said:
Replay's inate abilities (i.e. network port!) and the tons of 3rd party software (DVArchive for show extraction, WiRNS to enable Voom program guides, etc;) make it the clear winner in my mind ;). It's a shame DNNA is not continuing the development. The box is wonderful. I have 2, both connected to my Voom receivers and to my cable feed (still have basic cable). Transitions are seemless, I can stream between them, and of course extract out to a server running DVArchive which can also serve shows for streaming. I've burned many a DVD off of my Replay shows.
not to mention poopli if you miss a program (although it is godawfull slow if you archive at hq)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts