HD resolution setup question again.......

hzhao

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
I am sure this was discussed in many different ways. But, it seems always getting confused at the end for many. Here is the example:

For most of HD TV sets, the native resolution are 1280x768 or 1366x768. Most of manufactories always suggested in Owner's Manual the optimal for those TVs are set in 720p resolution on the souce device.

Now according ViP622 Owner's Manual, for the best result, the output should be set at 1080i when ever it is possible.......

So, the final question is: Which way is right?

The best resolution is the native resolution of your set.

Dish was just pontificating on the ?"merits"? of 1080i vs 720p.

Jim is right, but you will also have people argue that you should change the resolution based on the resolution of the channel you are watching. I think the overall answer is this is more of a personal opinion than any hard fact. Just play with it some and see what looks best to you. That's really all that matters anyway.

Thanks for the info. So far, I haven't see much of difference yet.

And what is "best" could vary by channel, and thus be subject to your viewing habits.

For example, let's say you have a 1280x720 HDTV. And you watch a lot of ESPN, which is broadcast in 720p. If you have your receiver set to 1080i, then the receiver is converting the 720p image to a 1080i one, sending it to your TV which converts it back to 720p. There is definite information loss in this double conversion.

However in the same scenario, you might be watching a lot of a 1080i channel. By leaving the receiver at 1080i, you pass through this image untouched and your HDTV may be much better at converting it to 720p than the Dish receiver is. So the final picture could be better with the receiver set at 1080i.

In theory, channels broadcast in 720p to a 720p set should look better when the receiver is set to 720p output. Likewise for 1080i channels to a 1080i HDTV, when the receiver is set to 1080i.

However it is when you watch channels that are in the non-native format of your HDTV that it will be dependent upon if the receiver or the HDTV set is the better converter.

If it turns out that the channels you view the most are in the non-native format, then you might want to set the receiver to that format and allow your TV to do the conversion. I.e. you have a 720p HDTV but your three most viewed channels are 1080i channels ... it might be better to set your receiver to 1080i in order to pass these through to your TV to convert.

As it is relatively easy to switch back and forth to compare, I would take the time to do so. Try to use a channel that is showing a really good picture. I wouldn't use a VOOM channel to test 1080i as the lack of sharpness from these down-rezzed channels would make it harder to see the differences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)