HD Resolution

EEJay

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Has anyone done any tests to see what they transmit? I know Dish is putting out 1080i at 1440x1080 and DirecTV's garbage is 1280x1080.

Thanks. I have the Internet, and TV should be here in Germantown in March. Just doing a little research, but it looks like I'll switch.

PQ is the real reason to switch, or at least was for me. The DVR is so-so, and perhaps I'm counting on too much for the 2nd roll-out of the software around April, but hopefully Verizon will address all the issues of the DVR... but the PQ... very nice.

PQ is the real reason to switch, or at least was for me. The DVR is so-so, and perhaps I'm counting on too much for the 2nd roll-out of the software around April, but hopefully Verizon will address all the issues of the DVR... but the PQ... very nice.
PQ was one of my reasons, :cool: value was the driving force for my decision - higher speed than cox, more channels and better PQ than Directv, a real HMO network (capabilities limited now, needs to be upgraded by V*)

Has anyone done any tests to see what they transmit? I know Dish is putting out 1080i at 1440x1080 and DirecTV's garbage is 1280x1080.
If you have a 1080p TV (preferably, one with 1:1 pixel mapping), set your FiOS DVR to record the "off air" program on Hdnet from 6:50am - 7am EST every Sunday morning. This "off air" program consists of test patterns, including a resolution pattern for 1920x1080.

DirecTV and Dish Network typically test in the 1100-1200 range while most cable providers test in the 1400-1600 range. Very, very few cable providers carry a pristine signal that can pass the full 1920.

To some extent, this is also a test of the video processing in your TV and in the set-top box. If your 1080p display doesn't do acceptable 1080i->1080p deinterlace, it may skew the results. If you have a Tivo Series3 and a FiOS DVR, it would be worth comparing the two on this program.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)