HD RF Modulator for a Hopper and a Joey????

Yes, that's the right converter. I use one and it works good except it often needs rebooting to get the colors right after the nightly Hopper reboots.

JSheridan, yesterday I made the switch from the VIP722K to the Hopper 3. The installers in my area are extremely busy so had to wait 3 weeks to do the switch but that gave me plenty of time to purchase a RF Modulator, the component to composite converter and new component cables. It works GREAT. Now there are NO bars on the TVs that mirror the Hopper 3 and the picture is great on all these TVs! Was very happy with Vic (our Tech) who understood how I wanted to mirror most of the TVs in the house to the Hopper 3. In fact he made sure I understood how to mirror either of the two Joeys I also have. He even gave me a RF Modulator and hooked it up to the Hopper 3! Thanks for all your assistance.
Thank You.jpg
Thank You.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have Channel Vision and Channel Plus modulators which I don't believe are even available anymore. . . .

I have two Channel Plus Quad 5445's and two Quad 3445's. Yup they are old. I have been using them since the late 90's with every room and patio in the house wired for a minimum of 13 TVs to watch whatever you want from 16 sources. You just had to remember to take your remote for your STB. I even used the Hot Water Heating pipes as an antenna for the remotes.

Now, all I want to do is to mirror one 65" HDTV off an H3. 1080p is fine.

I have tried many of the HDMI splitters listed here and none worked and I have found out that many are the same gizmo in a different box. I'm on my second one from Monoprice.com (My Favorite Place) and it won't work either. A third is on it's way . . . As far as splitting HDMI it looks like an EDID issue. If this next one doesn't work, Monoprice wants to try a different model that I wanted in the first place. We'll see.

If any one has any insight on the H3 and EDID when trying to split an HDMI feed, I appreciate any help.

Sorry for reviving and old post. I have a Hopper w/ Sling. Decided to turn off/return two Joey's. I purchased a $20 Insignia Modulator from Best But (looks like the RCA one on Amazon) to feed the Composite Hopper Signal to two other TV's via Coax, with the Hopper HDMI going to my main TV.

I set it up and everything seemed to work fine. After a few hours the RF modulator no longer sends at a signal to the remote TV's. I have both Composite/HDMI feed into my main TV, so I can switch inputs - and I do get a signal from both lines from the Hopper all the time - even when the RF modulator appears to not be working.

If I unplug/replug the HDMI from the Hopper into my primary TV, the RF modulator works fine.

I happened to buy two of the RF modulators, so when it tidings work, I switched them out, powered on/off, unplugged/re-plugged cables, and none of that resolved the problem. Just unplug/plugging the HDMI would solve the problem.

Did I get two bad modulators? Is there something else I am missing?

I don't think analog outputs have HDCP, mine work all the time component and composite.

Before I bought an HDMI input card for my Sony CRT projector, it was connected to my 722k and later my H3 via component - never saw any show that was blocked by HDCP even HBO and other premiums.

Have you tried a different composite input source (DVD or VCR) to test the modulators?

I thought it might be HDMI related, so I turned off the HDMI enhanced features on my TV where the TV/hopper/etc communicate, I think I also did that on the Hopper. For example, I thought when i turned the TV off, the TV told the Hopper to stop sending signal, which then cut off the RF output.

I have not tried a separate video source, I guess I will try that next when I get home from.

Right know I have each composite form the hopper r/w/y go into its own splitter (just one male connector to two females, all wires, no box) to split the Hopper composite feed into (1) Video 1 and [(2) RF modulator] on my main TV which also has the Hopper HDMI cable

I did this to see if it would work on main TV by just switching between inputs when it was NOT working on the remote TVs. I can see HDMI/composite on my main TV with no problem when the RF modulator is not sending a signal. Plug/Unplug everything is fine.

I do have an HDMI -> 2xHDMI splitter and one of those cheap HDMI to composite converters which wouldn't work (because HDCP) on my Apple TV - maybe I will try that next.

It is frustrating because I convinced my wife we could save $14 a month and just replicate the TV - so when it works everyone is happy - but when it stops working everyone is not as happy...

I don't think analog outputs have HDCP, mine work all the time component and composite.
They don't but if the HDMI fails the HDCP check the analog outputs get shutdown also.
Before I bought an HDMI input card for my Sony CRT projector, it was connected to my 722k and later my H3 via component - never saw any show that was blocked by HDCP even HBO and other premiums.

Have you tried a different composite input source (DVD or VCR) to test the modulators?

Here is the setup before I re-wire it. The HDMI and composite BOTH worked (5 mins ago) on the main TV - but not the remote TVs - unplug/replug the HDMI and the remote TVs work fine. This seems super odd because, as you can see in the attached pic, the composite feeding my main TV works fine which is the same thing split to the RF modulator. I am going to turn things on/off a few times to see if I can replicate the failure before I test another device.

If it HDCP related how in the world could the Hopper "stop" the signal on "1/2" the why splitters, but not the other half?

Attachments

• 2019-10-07 18.02.30.jpg
    2019-10-07 18.02.30.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 180
Here is the setup before I re-wire it. The HDMI and composite BOTH worked (5 mins ago) on the main TV - but not the remote TVs - unplug/replug the HDMI and the remote TVs work fine. This seems super odd because, as you can see in the attached pic, the composite feeding my main TV works fine which is the same thing split to the RF modulator. I am going to turn things on/off a few times to see if I can replicate the failure before I test another device.

If it HDCP related how in the world could the Hopper "stop" the signal on "1/2" the why splitters, but not the other half?

Does it work without the composite video splitter? You're not supposed to split composite video, you're supposed to use an amp/distribution device.

It did not work without the Y. I added the Y so I could monitor the output after it stopped working.

I just rewired it with the HDMI being split, converted to composite, than RF modulated w/ Y going to main TV. Again everything was OK on all the remote TVs but slowly they started to crap out after about 50 minutes, including the composite on the main TV which slowly got darker.

I removed the Ys from the attached pic and know it seems to be working OK on one remote TV.

I wonder if the original Dish splitter that feed each Joey which i know have feeding both remote TVs is part of the problem?

It’s almost like the signal slowly degraded until the remote TVs can’t find channel 4 anymore.

I didn’t try another source cause my wife wants to watch her shows.

Attachments

• 0DA41F1C-A670-4973-98F8-6650713EB820.jpeg
    0DA41F1C-A670-4973-98F8-6650713EB820.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 158
Ok. So I have had the HDMI->Splitter->converter-->RF Modulator-> 2 remote tv's hooked up for about a full day.

Last night, everything worked. Wife watched shows on remote TV in MBR, kids than watched a show using the other remote TV in Basement - no issues.

Get home for work, NO signal. Unplug/replug each of these one at a time, checking the remote TV in between: HDMI in TV, HDMi into splitter, HDMI into converter RF modulator power - each time no signal to remote TV. Reset hopper nothing.

Seems like the HDMI->composite converter is no longer an option.

Tonight I will hook up a WDTV and see how that works over the next 24 hours.

Ok. I figured it out. I am an idiot. After several days of troubleshooting, plugging/unllugging, moving the tv stand back/forth, running up/down the stairs, and a fair amount of cursing. I figured it out. I hooked up an old WD TV box one evening last week and the RF modulator and it worked fine, sending signal to both remote TVs. Come home from work, at 3:30pm, the next day and NOW the WD TV won’t power on.... and of course! I have one of those six outlet doohickeys that plugs directly into both of the outlets on the wall. I plugged the WD TV and RF modulator into two of the top three plugs. Of course, in our family/living/bedrooms the top outlet of all the outlets are wired to a light switch.

SO whenever I tried to get it to “work” and the living rooms lights were off, the RF modulator was off. Whenever I plug/unplugged the HDMI, I would turn the lights on so I could see behind the TV and it would work. Lights on it worked all evening. Come home at 3:30pm everyday (lights off) so it so wouldn’t work.

Reactions: TheKrell
Ok. I figured it out. I am an idiot. After several days of troubleshooting, plugging/unllugging, moving the tv stand back/forth, running up/down the stairs, and a fair amount of cursing. I figured it out. I hooked up an old WD TV box one evening last week and the RF modulator and it worked fine, sending signal to both remote TVs. Come home from work, at 3:30pm, the next day and NOW the WD TV won’t power on.... and of course! I have one of those six outlet doohickeys that plugs directly into both of the outlets on the wall. I plugged the WD TV and RF modulator into two of the top three plugs. Of course, in our family/living/bedrooms the top outlet of all the outlets are wired to a light switch.

SO whenever I tried to get it to “work” and the living rooms lights were off, the RF modulator was off. Whenever I plug/unplugged the HDMI, I would turn the lights on so I could see behind the TV and it would work. Lights on it worked all evening. Come home at 3:30pm everyday (lights off) so it so wouldn’t work.

LOL OK. Glad you got it figured out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts