HD Service Fee

hankh

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2003
Tyler, Texas
I understand that Dish charges a $5 fee, for possessing an HD receiver but not carrying an HD package.

I am interested in upgrading my receiver with the future intent of subscribing to an HD package, but at this time HD does not contain the specific channels I am after.

My question is this: Would subscribing to the Local channels, which have HD content, be considered to waive the $5 fee?

Thank you.

No.... and the actual fee for having and HD receiver with no HD programming is $7, on top of the receiver lease fee.

You will get HD locals or that $7 though... but for $3 more you can get a regular HD package.

I understand that Dish charges a $5 fee, for possessing an HD receiver but not carrying an HD package.

I am interested in upgrading my receiver with the future intent of subscribing to an HD package, but at this time HD does not contain the specific channels I am after.

My question is this: Would subscribing to the Local channels, which have HD content, be considered to waive the $5 fee?

Thank you.
No, I don't think so. The local subscription is for SD locals. Then they throw in the HD locals for nothing, if they're available for your DMA. You need to have a qualifying package. Look, the locals package is $5.99/month extra, and the lowest HD package is $10/month extra. Not a big difference.

Thank you all for your help. I think I'll stick with an SD receiver, 3922, until either forced off due the age of the receiver or DIY comes out in HD, which ever happens first.

Dish is damn expansive..they charge $5 for local channels and $20 for HD single B.S

Their rates are cheaper the cable and Direct. Check the rates before posting. (Also, note that Direct hides their fee for the locals within the package and are usually given a credit of $5 if you do not wish to have them, making them the same price as Dish), most cable co's have a basic package with just locals with most chargin around $20 and any HD versions in another package costing even more.

Last edited:
I have a related question.

I was recently upgraded from a 942 to a 722. The "HD Enabling Fee" has been waived for me because such a fee did not exist for the 942. I typically only watch the major networks in HD, so this has worked well for me.

I am tempted to at least try out upgrading to a DishHD to see how I like it. I remember the original, 5 channel HD Pack (TNT-HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPN HD and Discovery). I dropped that package because it seemed overpriced back then. The additional HD channels that have been added perhaps make it a better value today for just an additional $10. I would like to try it out.

Here is my question: If I try out a DishHD package and decide later I don't like it, will I forever lose my opportunity to have the "HD Enabling Fee" waived when I downgrade to a non-HD package?

I don't think you'll have to worry about it...once you start getting all the channels in HD you'll never want to drop them. ;)

I have a related question.

I was recently upgraded from a 942 to a 722. The "HD Enabling Fee" has been waived for me because such a fee did not exist for the 942. I typically only watch the major networks in HD, so this has worked well for me.

I am tempted to at least try out upgrading to a DishHD to see how I like it. I remember the original, 5 channel HD Pack (TNT-HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPN HD and Discovery). I dropped that package because it seemed overpriced back then. The additional HD channels that have been added perhaps make it a better value today for just an additional $10. I would like to try it out.

Here is my question: If I try out a DishHD package and decide later I don't like it, will I forever lose my opportunity to have the "HD Enabling Fee" waived when I downgrade to a non-HD package?

I think if you have a fee waived and then change the programing and try to chang it back, you will lose having the fee being waived.

Once Ciel2 is up and happy I think I will be coming back to dish. Doing the Dishbuilder to calculate what my MR would be when all is said and done:

Monthly Fees
TurboHD Gold $40.39
PlatinumHD $10.00
Seattle, WA DMA Package $5.00
DISH Network DVR Service Fee $4.60
Equipment Fees
DISH Network DVR Service Fee $5.98
DishDVR Advantage (TurboHD Gold), You Saved $0.98!
HD Leased Receiver Fee 2 $7.00
total = 72.97

Am I correct in thinking this would get me all HD programing available (with no premiums) and 2 HDDVR's? Any hidden fees I'm not including?

Once Ciel2 is up and happy I think I will be coming back to dish. Doing the Dishbuilder to calculate what my MR would be when all is said and done:

Monthly Fees
TurboHD Gold $40.39
PlatinumHD $10.00
Equipment Fees
DISH Network DVR Service Fee $5.98
DishDVR Advantage (TurboHD Gold), You Saved $0.98!
HD Leased Receiver Fee 2 $7.00
total = 72.97

Am I correct in thinking this would get me all HD programing available (with no premiums) and 2 HDDVR's? Any hidden fees I'm not including?

DVR Advantage should include on the dvr fees, and if you don't have phone or eithernet connected, you could have two additional tuner fees @ $5 each.

Redid it with 1 HDDVR.
Monthly Fees
TurboHD Gold $40.39
PlatinumHD $10.00
Monthly Total Price $59.99

That's quite a difference going from 1 to 2 HDDVR's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)