HD shows at 4x3 ratio

jahost

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 2, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I have both my receiver and HD TV set for 16x9 aspect ratio but some programs that are supposed to be HD are shown at 4x3 and need to be stretched. Am I doing something wrong? "John"

I have both my receiver and HD TV set for 16x9 aspect ratio but some programs that are supposed to be HD are shown at 4x3 and need to be stretched. Am I doing something wrong? "John"
Are you really using an HD input on your TV? Disconnect the s-video, the RF coax, and the RCA video plug, then what do you see?

Some programs shown on an HD channel may not have been shot in HD, and may actually be 4:3. Airing a 4:3 program as 4:3 is how many people prefer that an HD network air their non-HD 4:3 content. Some networks stretch a 4:3 program to 16:9 which results in short/fat people/images, and some people prefer it that way. I'd rather that an HD network air the program in its original aspect ratio (OAR).

I was having that problem too yesterday when I dvr some programs in HD they came out not normal. When I check my receiver and my tv they were both set on 16x9....so I just changed the format on my receiver. . then changed it back and everything is fine now... May want to try that.

Yeah there is nothing wrong with your set up it is the source that is broadcasting that way my local new is like that some other programs as well, it is how they broadcast it.

Another thing to note is that some movies and shows shot on film were actually filmed in 4:3, so even tho' in HD only have a 4:3 aspect ratio. Something else I've noticed on occasion is that my local OTA channels sometimes have problems with their HD feed and will cut out for segments substituting the SD feed while they resolve the problem.

If you're watching OTA feeds, it's possible you're tuned to the SD broadcast, and not the HD one—they aren't always clearly labeled in my area. Make you're tuned to the right channel, usually the second one with its number.

WGN isn't a national HD channel, but from my understanding you should be able to get it in HD OTA.

Also, I don't think the shows "need to be stretched" unless the actors faces are squished in before you stretch it. I prefer to watch shows and movies in whatever aspect ratio they were made in, rather than conforming them to my screen.

I was watching the Cubs game for one on WGN. Also local OTA newscasts.
As said before, WGN HD is not yet available on Dish. I searched and it does not appear that any of your locals are broadcasting news in HD.

WHat is the picture set for on your tv? You can have Dish set to 16x9, but if the tv is set to 4:3, its gonna be 4:3. My sony has the option of normal, full, wide, and zoom. Full is the one to use for 16x9.

WHat is the picture set for on your tv? You can have Dish set to 16x9, but if the tv is set to 4:3, its gonna be 4:3. My sony has the option of normal, full, wide, and zoom. Full is the one to use for 16x9.
Read first post.

The locals are 8.1,8.2,13.1 etc so they are the digital channels which say they are broadcasing in HD. OK, thanks for everyones input. If it is 4x3 that is what I will watch. "John"

Read first post.

You know what, I still say you have to check; on the tv I have, when you first set it up, you set its default aspect ratio, to either 16x9 or 4:3; but the PICTURE button still enables you to switch between the four modes.

AND even though the settings are to 16x9, that picture button will over-ride.

The locals are 8.1,8.2,13.1 etc so they are the digital channels which say they are broadcasing in HD. OK, thanks for everyones input. If it is 4x3 that is what I will watch. "John"
Sorry, mate, digital does not mean HD at all. It merely means digital and can be SD and/or 4x3.

OK, here is an example. I am currently watching the Masters golf on channel 9468. It is an HD broadcast but it is 4x3 in normal mode. Some of my other modes are stretch, partial zoom, zoom, gray bar. I am at a loss.

You are not watching the masters. You are watching "live from the masters" on the golf channel.
It is being broadcast in 4x3.

Not everything on an "HD" labeled channel is actually in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)