HD shows at 4x3 ratio

You are not watching the masters. You are watching "live from the masters" on the golf channel.
It is being broadcast in 4x3.

Not everything on an "HD" labeled channel is actually in HD.

All true. To the OP, tonight watch a comedy or drama on prime time network. That will be true HD. Some of the reality and news shows are SD.

Sorry, mate, digital does not mean HD at all. It merely means digital and can be SD and/or 4x3.

One of my local OTA NBC stations only runs HD during prime time and on the weekends via channel 20.1. Tune to the station before a game or program starts and you see 4x3 SD digital picture and right when the game or program starts the aspect and sound change to HD 16x9 with Dolby Digital.

If it doesn't read "(HD)" after the program description in the guide, it's not HD.

If it doesnt say HD it probably isnt , but if it says hd , it might not be hd
Example tbs-hd, tnt-hd

I think the op is confused to the digital ota is hd,
and to the "HD" channels, which dont always show hd programming.

This is a fine example of how modern society has no realization of how everything is becoming too complicated for consumers.

Every little product and sub-product demands that you learn how to use it, and that you spend a lot of your time dealing with it.

For example, my ISP's mail server suddenly stopped allowing any "From:"
address other than the main one, unless you went through an elaborate procedure in their online web mail app to add that address.

So, I go to open the web mail, and I am beset with all sorts of "We have a new beta? Do you want to try that?" I say no. Then I get "You can now chat with our mail application. Do you want to do that?" I say no. Nonetheless, I get another dialog about the chat that I have to dismiss just to do this ten minute procedure to add and verify this alternate email address.

Just too f*ing complicated. Endlessly wasting my time, so they can keep their $120,000 per year web design job by changing something that works fine already.

Just imagine when everyone in China, India and Brazil raise their level of economy to the point where they waste your time as well. At that point, we'll be spending all day figuring out how to do the simplest things...

The OP isn't confused. When I am receiving a digital ota uhf channel, say 13.1 and the newscaster says it is being broadcast in HD I assume it is in HD (except for the offsite features and films from around the world).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)