HD signal on SD receiver

Clancy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
I have noticed today for the first time on a sd receiver model 311 that I am monitoring a signal reading from three conus beam hd transponders.
They are transponders 7 , 13 and 17, from satellite 110 deg.
In the past, a HD receiver was required to view a signal from a HD transponder.
Not so today. :confused:

The #311 receiver is not a mpeg4 receiver as far as I know.
Perhaps Tony or someone could find out if Dish Network is now sending the transponders I mentioned in post #1 out in HD and SD.
This receiver now, but never before, is receiving signal readings in the high 90's from those HD transponders.
Just checked another #311 and it reads them also.
Sure got me baffled.

The #311 receiver is not a mpeg4 receiver as far as I know.
Perhaps Tony or someone could find out if Dish Network is now sending the transponders I mentioned in post #1 out in HD and SD.
This receiver now, but never before, is receiving signal readings in the high 90's from those HD transponders.
Just checked another #311 and it reads them also.
Sure got me baffled.

Just because they are 8PSK modulation signals doesn't mean they are HD. Dish could send SD content on an 8PSK receiver but only the 8PSK capable receivers could "see" the signal. Dish wishes everyone had 8PSK! 40~ mbps a transponder is much better than 30~ mbps a transponder.

Just because a receiver can detect there is a signal on a transponder, does not mean it can decode that signal. A satellite meter can't tune in a satellite channel.

Just because a receiver can detect there is a signal on a transponder, does not mean it can decode that signal. A satellite meter can't tune in a satellite channel.

I am aware of that fact.
What I am pointing out, these #311 receivers have not been able before this week, to measure a signal from a HD transponder. I didn't say anything about decoding the signal.

I am aware of that fact.
What I am pointing out, these #311 receivers have not been able before this week, to measure a signal from a HD transponder. I didn't say anything about decoding the signal.

Correct and the Dish 311s and Dish 6000's could not display a signal strength in the setup on an mpeg4 HD-LIL transponder for example.

Correct and the Dish 311s and Dish 6000's could not display a signal strength in the setup on an mpeg4 HD-LIL transponder for example.

Too much knowledge sometimes confuse us :).

Not true - compression of video/audio packets have nothing to do with lock into transponder with different type of modulation - QPSK or 8PSK.
If your receiver have ability to demod 8PSK, you'll have SS - sure current software must allow to select the transponder first ;).

Let me point out that the two #311's I have mentioned in this thread are both on P3.18 and have been on this version since the end of August.

I have not had the later versions that have been released to some receivers.
I don't expect to receive version P4.10 because I think it is just to service a certain shipment of receivers.

My present version has just in the last week been able to recognize these HD transponders. My query is more one of timing than capabilities. I believe HDTVFanAtic understands through the same testing in the past as I have done with this receiver.

Thanks all for your input.

Why? As long as the receiver is 8PSK, it can see the signal strength. It doesn't care what's inside the signal.

I understand what you are saying, I can only confirm what Clancy says is what happens in reality.

I can only assume the bios is coded that way.

Too much knowledge sometimes confuse us :).

Not true - compression of video/audio packets have nothing to do with lock into transponder with different type of modulation - QPSK or 8PSK.
If your receiver have ability to demod 8PSK, you'll have SS - sure current software must allow to select the transponder first ;).

Perhaps you would have liked to see the 0 signal strength on mpeg4 transponders on my 6000 and 311 that have full strength on a Vip211? Or the 0 strength on transponder 13 and 17 on my 311 with a full strength on the 6000s and the ViP211.

I am not saying the signal isn't there - apparently firmware isn't coded to display a signal on those transponders for type programming it cannot display.

NP, just remove 8PSK cartridge from the 6000 and use it with GenPix USB interface card - you'll have good signal and it will be locked regardless MPEG2 or H.264. Minus is you can't watch programs, but all System Info will be available for your pleasure. :)

BTW, all those tpns are CONUS, not beams - will be nice if Mods will correct the Topic.

Last edited:
NP, just remove 8PSK cartridge from the 6000 and use it with GenPix USB interface card - you'll have good signal and it will be locked regardless MPEG2 or H.264. Minus is you can't watch programs, but all System Info will be available for your pleasure. :)

BTW, all those tpns are CONUS, not beams - will be nice if Mods will correct the Topic.

My opening post referred to the three Conus beams.

For those that need clarification, Conus means Continental United States.
A Conus beam is supposed to cover all of the continental US.

A Spot Beam has its radiation directed to a smaller area or areas.

When the signal leaves the satellite, it can radiate to a very narrow beamed area which we tend to call Spot beamed or it can be beamed to just half the country or it can be beamed to all of the country.

Regardless of the transmitted pattern, all the various signals are called a beam. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)