HD significantly viewed locals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PaulieORF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Southington, CT
In my area (West-Central Connecticut) DirecTV has made 3 of the 4 major networks (I think FOX, NBC, and CBS) available as "significantly viewed locals" or "neighboring locals". From what I understand, they are only available in SD. Does anyone know if DirecTV has any plans of making the HD channels available some day?

Yes, the time frame I'm not sure about but D* will provide Local HD to all who receive SD locals by the middle of 2007.

TulsaCoker said:
Yes, the time frame I'm not sure about but D* will provide Local HD to all who receive SD locals by the middle of 2007.
Cool. It's just hard for me to understand why living in Connecticut, I get the Hartford, CT and the NY locals in SD, but don't get the NY locals in HD. I guess I shouldn't be greedy.

PaulieORF said:
Cool. It's just hard for me to understand why living in Connecticut, I get the Hartford, CT and the NY locals in SD, but don't get the NY locals in HD. I guess I shouldn't be greedy.

You should get WNBC HD, since WVIT is an O&O.

PaulieORF said:
I don't. I get the "channel not purchased" message on channel 82. Is this something I have to call DirecTV and ask for specifically?

Do you have the CT locals? If so, you shouldn't have to do anything. Call up now! :D

i called and they told me i had to apply through waivers. i told them its O & O, they told i had to still apply. my waviers came back a big fat NO. i called and just the runaround. any tips??

I called DirecTV and they told me that I cannot get WNBC HD. I asked if I could get a waiver since WVIT is O&O, and they said you can try. I'm not going to bother, since in less than two weeks the Hartford HD locals will be up. I asked the CSR if DirecTV will ever offer the significantly viewed locals in HD, and she said no. I just don't understand why HD is treated so differently from SD.

PaulieORF said:
I called DirecTV and they told me that I cannot get WNBC HD. I asked if I could get a waiver since WVIT is O&O, and they said you can try. I'm not going to bother, since in less than two weeks the Hartford HD locals will be up. I asked the CSR if DirecTV will ever offer the significantly viewed locals in HD, and she said no. I just don't understand why HD is treated so differently from SD.

That's a crock of sh*t! You should be getting WNBC HD without having to ask for it.

raoul5788 said:
That's a crock of sh*t! You should be getting WNBC HD without having to ask for it.
Are you currently getting it? If I could tell them that I know for a fact that someone else in the area is, that could help my case.

PaulieORF said:
Are you currently getting it? If I could tell them that I know for a fact that someone else in the area is, that could help my case.

Yes, I am. IIRC, you are in the Hartford/New Haven dma, yes?

I just called DirecTV again, this time they redirected me to the HD department, where the gentleman I spoke to did say that WVIT has granted a blanket waiver for the area to receive WNBC-DT on channel 82. He added the channel immediately, and he also submitted a waiver for the other three NY affiliates (WNYW, WABC, WCBS) to see if I can receive their digital channels on DirecTV as well. I didn't ask for the waiver, but I'm not one for arguing against more potential HD programming. Does anyone know how likely it is that any of those waivers will be granted?

raoul5788 said:
Yes, I am. IIRC, you are in the Hartford/New Haven dma, yes?
I also wanted to ask you if you get MSG and FSN NY. On DirecTV's website when I put my zip code in, it says I get NESN, FSN New England, SNY, YES, FSN New York, and MSG, but MSG and FSN New York are not on my receiver.

PaulieORF said:
Yes. I live in Prospect, right near you in Cheshire. So you did not even have to ask to get WNBC-DT, it just worked for you?

Yup!

PaulieORF said:
I also wanted to ask you if you get MSG and FSN NY. On DirecTV's website when I put my zip code in, it says I get NESN, FSN New England, SNY, YES, FSN New York, and MSG, but MSG and FSN New York are not on my receiver.

I put my zip in and it says I should get all of them, also, but I have never gotten FSNE. The last time I checked the lookup page for the rsn's, it said that I would get all six if I had TC Premiere, but with TC+, I wouldn't get FSNE. Now it says just what you said, that I should get all of them with just TC+. I called D* and asked about it. The csr couldn't get FSNE to come up, so he gave me the Sports Pack for one month, and said FSNE should stay on after the month. Only time will tell. BTW, good news about WNBC-HD!

PaulieORF said:
I just called DirecTV again, this time they redirected me to the HD department, where the gentleman I spoke to did say that WVIT has granted a blanket waiver for the area to receive WNBC-DT on channel 82. He added the channel immediately, and he also submitted a waiver for the other three NY affiliates (WNYW, WABC, WCBS) to see if I can receive their digital channels on DirecTV as well. I didn't ask for the waiver, but I'm not one for arguing against more potential HD programming. Does anyone know how likely it is that any of those waivers will be granted?

I submited for the same waivers and Im located right outside of New HAven.

For some reason, WTIC (Fox, which is the CT equivalent of WNYW) is convinced that we can all get their signal (nice try, I even had a back and forth with their engineering department but they are convinced a low power signal in Avon is gonna make it down to me in New Haven).

Not sure youll get a waiver for WABC, because WTNH might be in range for you (out of New Haven).

WFSB is the CBS carrier, and again they might be close enough for you to get, technically.

I hate how they determine you can get these signals......its all "technically you should be able to" but in reality how could they know? And I wasnt about to go out and purchase a massive OTA setup because Im supposed to be able to get them all. Luckily, Im close enough to the coast that a cheap indoor antenna picks up the *NY* versions of all these HD stations. I guess the CT stations didnt need me that bad as a viewer anyway.

-Chris

chrisexv6 said:

For some reason, WTIC (Fox, which is the CT equivalent of WNYW) is convinced that we can all get their signal (nice try, I even had a back and forth with their engineering department but they are convinced a low power signal in Avon is gonna make it down to me in New Haven).

Not sure youll get a waiver for WABC, because WTNH might be in range for you (out of New Haven).

WFSB is the CBS carrier, and again they might be close enough for you to get, technically.

I hate how they determine you can get these signals......its all "technically you should be able to" but in reality how could they know? And I wasnt about to go out and purchase a massive OTA setup because Im supposed to be able to get them all. Luckily, Im close enough to the coast that a cheap indoor antenna picks up the *NY* versions of all these HD stations. I guess the CT stations didnt need me that bad as a viewer anyway.

-Chris

WTIC has had psip issues on and off for quite awhile, but other than that :eek: you should be able to pick them up in New Haven and Prospect without much problem. The other stations are at full power and are relatively easy to pick up. A better antenna like the CM 4228 may be in order. It picks up WTNH DT (10) and WTXX (12) in most areas even though it is a UHF type.

chrisexv6 said:

-Chris
To be honest, I can receive all of the CT locals in HD including the two PBS stations (Norwich and Bridgeport). I can also receive Providence HD locals sometimes, and on those extremely muggy nights when the atmosphere is just right, I can get the Boston HD locals. Never did once get any NY locals.

Anyway, I didn't want the waivers submitted, but the guy at DirecTV did it anyway, so I'm not going to tell him not to. If some of them or even one say okay, that just adds more HD for me. What would be cool would be to get the WCBS and WNYW HD locals, so I'd be able to watch more NFL games in HD during football season.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts