HD subchannels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tritron

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Denver, co
I wonder how does dish creates HD subchannels to SD channels that have them. I just got upgraded to HD and I can switch between same SD and HD channels. HD channels seem to be all over 4xxx 5xxx 9xxx. Seems like lots of wasted space on satelite. Why dish still sends signals in SD if there are same HD channels box could down conver them to sd for customers with old tv

The SD boxes do not have the ability to "receive" (not the best technical word, but used for better understanding) any of the HD channels, so Dish still has to send out the LIL's in both SD and HD. However, both Dish and Direct are working towards what you said in your post: only having to send up one HD stream of that channel so that everyone can receive it and SD subs boxes can down-convert it to SD, but that would require a complete swap-out of legacy boxes with all new ViP boxes. That would be really expensive. That isn't going to happen soon, but it is their goal for the long-term future.

However, Dish will be soon swapping out legacy SD QPSK boxes for more recent models capable of 8PSK for SD. This will allow Dish to put more SD channels per transponder (with about the same picture quality). This will free up transponders for, presumably, more HD without having to acquire more satellite slots.

Also, Dish has something called the Eastern Arc that was implemented last year. All new subs in the eastern portion of the country (with a few exceptions) must look at a separate group of satellites where all the channels, both SD and HD is in MPEG4 8PSK. Those subscribers must also have ViP boxes only, as those are the only ones today that can handle and display MPEG4 8PSK. So, the Eastern Arc is actually the more efficient system you suggested in your original post

Your suggestion is right on, but, as with any business, no matter how great the new technology and better the solution, we always have to contend with LEGACY. Hope that made sense.

Last edited:
There are still many many people who have SD only receivers and many of them cannot read the HD signal.

There are still many many people who have SD only receivers and many of them cannot read the HD signal.
Sorry; my queston of BobaBird was too abbreviated for latecomers. ;) What I meant to ask was:
Why bother keeping the SD nationals...
... on Eastern Arc? BobaBird had stated above that Dish was dropping the SD locals from Eastern Arc when channel became available in HD. This makes sense. But the nationals are still duplicated on Eastern Arc. That makes no sense.

I don't have an answer for that though I have read comments from some parents who appreciate not having their DVRs filled with kid shows.

No one set up on the EA should have an SD-only receiver.

Just stumbled on the answer -- they're still selling SD packages on the EA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)