HD-Tivo and Vonage....how I got them to work together

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kbohip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Colorado Springs
I recently got in on the $200 HD-Tivo deal, as I'm sure a lot of other people have done as well. I love it but I noticed that it HATES calling home with Vonage, and I couldn't get mine to do it. There was always some sort of error message. After reading a bunch of threads in another forum, I finally found a way that works for me. Here is what I did:

I set the prefix to: *99,12122773895,,,,, as per another poster's suggestions in the Tivocommunity forums. Note there are 5 commas (pauses) at the end. I left the phone number as 1-212-277-3895. I didn't put anything into the call waiting prefix.

Supposedly the *99 tells Vonage that the call is a data call and the comma's (pauses) at the end are to slow the modem speed in the HR10-250 way down. This setup worked for me last night, although it took a few tries for it to connect. I was able to get the newest software downloaded which was my main goal anyway.

Don't be dissapointed if you see the status of the daily call as "Downloading" and it seems stuck there. It's not stuck, it just takes a LONG time if there is a software download, which there will be if your machine shipped with the older (e) software. I checked my Vonage account and saw that it was connected to the New York Tivo number above for 6 1/2 hours!!! Nevertheless this morning I noticed that the call was successful and I had the newest (f) software. For this reason I recommend forcing the daily call right before you go to bed. Just make sure it connects and starts the download.

I forced another daily call tonight to see how long it would take and it only took the usual 1-2 minutes. If this above method doesn't work for you try some other methods in the Vonage compatibility thread in the Tivocommunity forums.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=181220&page=2&pp=30

Anyway, I hope this info can help some people out, as I doubt I'm the only one with Voange on this forum.

This is certainly helpful. I am thinking about switching to Vonage and obviously this is a concern. Did you need to get an additional phone adapter for your receiver? Not sure how the hookups work in this scenario.

I didn't get an additional adapter. All I did was get a cheap 1-5 way phone splitter from Lowes. I think it was only around $7. I then ran a 50ft. phone wire (PITA) from the upstairs of the house to downstairs where the Vonage adapter is. Make SURE you get a 4 wire phone wire. I never could get the cheap 2 wire phone wire that comes with the Tivos in the box to work with Voange.

Here is what I use.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F008%5F008%5F001%5F001&product%5Fid=279%2D433

Just unplug your telephone line outside in your box or just have your service disconnected. Plug the vonage line into one of your phone jacks and it sends the phone signal throughout your home. No running extra cords or anything. Works great

osubeavs said:
Just unplug your telephone line outside in your box or just have your service disconnected. Plug the vonage line into one of your phone jacks and it sends the phone signal throughout your home. No running extra cords or anything. Works great

Yup Ive done the same thing with Callvantage and Packet8. All of the phone lines are tied together anyway.

Thank you ! Thank you! Thank you! Tried D* tech helps for last 2 day and vonage too and got nothing ....this did the trick first time.

You guys rock!!! :eek: :) :) :) :)

BTW - I prefer serial over PPP to anything here - it's TONS faster, but has the caveat of needing a computer nearby.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts