HD TIvo bug

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
So, 2-3 months ago my HD Tivo started this weird trend. Every once in a while, when I turn it on I get the "greenish screen of death" where it is almost impossible to see anything. The sound is still ok and the functions are still fine (I can use the menus and all). if it is recording it keeps recording fine and so on. It almost looks as if it is "confused" between 1080i going to 480i to 480p (at least with my tv when I switch between these settings the pic goes fuzzy for a second to finally recognize which setting it is using). The only way I can get the pic back is by unplugging the unit and pluggin it back. Of course it takes forever for the unit to acquire sat signal, and blah blah blah. I'm currently using component output. Has anybody seen that problem with their unit? I want to sell this darn thing but not sure I'll make much money if this is a bad bug!

So, 2-3 months ago my HD Tivo started this weird trend. Every once in a while, when I turn it on I get the "greenish screen of death" where it is almost impossible to see anything. The sound is still ok and the functions are still fine (I can use the menus and all). if it is recording it keeps recording fine and so on. It almost looks as if it is "confused" between 1080i going to 480i to 480p (at least with my tv when I switch between these settings the pic goes fuzzy for a second to finally recognize which setting it is using). The only way I can get the pic back is by unplugging the unit and pluggin it back. Of course it takes forever for the unit to acquire sat signal, and blah blah blah. I'm currently using component output. Has anybody seen that problem with their unit? I want to sell this darn thing but not sure I'll make much money if this is a bad bug!

Bummer ... I have an HR10-250 image if you need one to restore to a new drive. You can try a C&D All, but there are no guarantees even with that, it is more of a shotgun approach instead of a rifle.

hmm, what's a C&D all??

Bummer ... I have an HR10-250 image if you need one to restore to a new drive. You can try a C&D All, but there are no guarantees even with that, it is more of a shotgun approach instead of a rifle.

Oh, and if you can't see the actual menus.. once you're in DirecTV Central, from the top of the list, hit your down button 4 times for Messages and Settings, then once your in that menu go to the very bottom for Restart or Reset System, then to the very bottom of the next menu for Clear & delete everything, then Thumbs down 3 times and enter.

Like was mentioned earlier, this might work and might not. Can't hurt if you don't mind losing your recordings.

-Dan

excellent. i'll try that. CUrrently the unit is not being used anyway (I turned off DTV) and no recording left.

Oh, and if you can't see the actual menus.. once you're in DirecTV Central, from the top of the list, hit your down button 4 times for Messages and Settings, then once your in that menu go to the very bottom for Restart or Reset System, then to the very bottom of the next menu for Clear & delete everything, then Thumbs down 3 times and enter.

Like was mentioned earlier, this might work and might not. Can't hurt if you don't mind losing your recordings.

-Dan

I think I have the same problem as you do -- periodically I get the green gibberish all over the screen.

Mine is easily and quickly fixable by changing the resolution on the TiVo itself (not via remote). Just press the button on the Tivo to cycle through the resolutions until you get back to where you should be (e.g., 1080i). No need to reboot.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)