HD TV on the way. Jump from DirecTV to DISH?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

James in VA

Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Hi all!

Brand new to this forum. I just ordered my first HD TV today (65" HP 1080P DLP) and expect to get it late next week. The question is how to handle getting my HD satellite contact.

For the past 7 years or so I've had DirecTV. About 4 years back I upgraded my reciever to get integrated TiVo service. I've been pleased for the most part but my commitment with them is long over. I did, however, subscribe to "lifetime" TiVo service. Now I want to get the best HD content I can. I also really want DVR service. I live in rural VA and the cable company here stinks so satellite it is.

Last month I read about the onset of MPEG4 compression for HD programming and now see that Dish is offering that with a DVR in their model ViP622. Has anyone here jumped from DirecTV to Dish for their HD content? Does this seem like a good idea?

Lastly, can anybody recommend who to go to in order to get the equipment and setup? For DirecTV, I always dealt directly with the main company. Any experiences (good or bad) with satellite dealers?

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions.

Regards,
James in VA

If an hd dvr is a priority, I'd recommend cable, if it is available in your area. DirecTV's mpeg4 hd dvr hasn't been released yet and for all intents and purposes neither has Dish Network's (only 240 are "available").

if feasable, get 4dtv

If you want the very best HD picture quality and it is feasable for you , get a DSR-922 Motorola receiver and a HDD-200 HD decoder, it is the best masterbroadcast picture quality you can ask for, and yes HD looks Like HD. C-band requires an 8.5' dish with c and ku lnb's. I love mine. Lots of free programming on c and ku band too, digital and analog/

The equipment is a little expensive, not subsidized like the little dish people, but digicipher 2 delivers! Your programming will be a whole lot cheaper.

Good luck, TRucker:)

As a new subscriber, you will go the the head of the line for the new ViP622 MPEG-4 8PSK HD DVRs (any more acronyms I can insert?). If you order soon, you'll likely get it in 2-3 weeks. The ViP622 is based on the 942, the best and most stable receiver E* has ever put out. The benefits of the Dish receivers vs Tivo are discussed ad nauseum elsewhere. Each has it's strong points. The only loss in the jump is the Tivo (lifetime paid)- but that has a limited lifetime under D* anyway.

For the foreseeable future, E* will have more HD than D* and is at least talking about providing it in full res. D* seems to have no interest in full res.

Reading D* & E* forums will yield posts by haters of each, convincing you that you should not subscribe to either- or to cable. Or watch OTA. Or join the ever diminishing number of C-band subscribers. Library, anyone?

You will likely be pretty happy with whichever route you take.

navychop said:
...Reading D* & E* forums will yield posts by haters of each, convincing you that you should not subscribe to either- or to cable. Or watch OTA. Or join the ever diminishing number of C-band subscribers. Library, anyone?

You will likely be pretty happy with whichever route you take.

Truer words have never been spoken. (No flame intended.)

I just switched from E* to D*. For me it came down to which could provide me my locals in HD the quickest. I can't get over the air. D* is adding my locals in April while E* doesn't have offical plans for my area this year. I would suggest you call both and check your area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts