HD Upgrade - No Self Installation Allowed???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
#3 might be the best idea, considering that #2 is already done. If they'd ship the stuff to me, I'd mount everything and just let him do the dish. I've got a clear view of the entire Southern sky from where it is mounted now, and from several other possible mounting spots as well. I guess one of my other issues is that they make it seem like he will need to see every little bit of the setup. I don't feel like making access to all of the cable runs as they are ran through walls and what/not, and a multiswitch that's hidden behind a heavy piece of furniture. I've got all 3 DVRs setup and the SD receiver, as well as some other runs for future use (not connected to the multiswitches as I deemed it would be an unnecessary source of interference). Everything runs great with good signal strength on each box (of course that is a bit of a moot point).

Ok, now we are getting places to get this done for you quickly
First step is to have everything ready for the installer ahead of time.
If multiswitch needs replacing then have the it accessible or buy one off ebay for $10 (they are cheap now that SWM is out.
Run two more lines to the dish but make sure there is a static ground (messenger wire) or he may not use it.
Make sure all wires run past the bonding point of the home and to multiswitch so it can be grounded off properly.
Don't bother putting connectors on the lines because if they are not approved, he may cut them off and replace them anyways.
Leave extra slack on the lines for drip loops at the ground block and at the dish (more at the dish since the ka/ku is bigger and could need a little more then a standard 18" dish) better to leave too much then too little.

He will have to mount the dish himself since he will have to bring it but that does not take long.

If you want him to come out later, then offer him cash (that will be between you and him).
Don't schedule a 12-4 and expect that means you can show up at 4.
Have DTV to put in the notes for the tech to call you in the morning to discuss arival time.
Be willing to accept that he won't be willing to show up at you whim as installers have lives and families too and this is not part of the job.

This job over all won't take long if you do everything properly on your end.
About hour to say hello, mount the dish, and activate the receiver if you stay out of his way and don't ask questions or talk to him.

OHtechguy said:
#3 might be the best idea, considering that #2 is already done. If they'd ship the stuff to me, I'd mount everything and just let him do the dish. I've got a clear view of the entire Southern sky from where it is mounted now, and from several other possible mounting spots as well. I guess one of my other issues is that they make it seem like he will need to see every little bit of the setup. I don't feel like making access to all of the cable runs as they are ran through walls and what/not, and a multiswitch that's hidden behind a heavy piece of furniture. I've got all 3 DVRs setup and the SD receiver, as well as some other runs for future use (not connected to the multiswitches as I deemed it would be an unnecessary source of interference). Everything runs great with good signal strength on each box (of course that is a bit of a moot point).

I'm far enough from Columbus to qualify as being in the boonies. I don't get any OTA coverage (I even used one of those online antenna selectors, which showed absolutely no signal from a roof mounted or higher antenna), and I never had analog reception back when you could still get that. I can't even get cell coverage here. I have a Samsung Airave (Sprint) to provide cell service so that I can use my cellphone in the house and on most of the property.

Wow, if your that far away from Columbus, see if you can get another cities OTA, I know I get OTA from at least 60 miles away. Toledo and Detroit.
I know digtal doesn't go anywheres as faras Analog did, unfortunately. I use to be able to sometimes get Cleveland and Columbus from here with Analog.
Where did you say you were ? I'm guessing SE of Columbus ...

DIRECTV has to know that if they activate you, they're not going to have to come out and re-do anything. There's enough of that as it is with their professional installations.

What you know about IT is of limited use in a satellite installation. Knowledge of the intricacies of PoE may be your most valuable asset.

Proper installation of the dish itself is probably the biggest issue. There's nothing inherent in IT that prepares you for that.

DIRECTV is also keenly interested in you not screwing them out of possible revenue stream options. They want to make sure that features like downloaded video and MRV will be available if you get the urge.

Finally, they don't want anything backfiring because the customer lied to them about being set up. I'm betting it happens a lot. On the average, I'd guess they just can't trust someone to follow all of the rules and checklists without sending out an inspector and if they're going to have to do that, why not use someone they can backcharge?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)