HD upgrade saga

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ducked

Original poster
May 31, 2008
I've subscribed for 10 years to Dish. At the start, it was the only option for Russian channels, which my wife wanted. I had to point at 61.5, though, and I'm in Oregon, but that actually wasn't too difficult (I self-installed everything).

A few days ago, I got a 722, and tried to activate it with the dishHD package. Dish wouldn't let me. They insisted on getting an installer to replace my legacy dish 500 and dish 300. With a contract, of course, and I'm not willing to do that. The supervisor said I had to get 129 to get any HD. I offered to repoint my 61.5 dish to it, but then he said, no, doesn't matter, we won't activate with your legacy dishes.

So I called back a few hours later. I told them that I now had a dish 1000.2 on my roof. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. So they activated it. My 722 was rebooting every 10 or 15 minutes, though. I thought that it was just the software updating. My SW64 went through the check switch with no problems. Uh, I was connecting through my old legacy dishes, just for kicks.

On my dish 5000 receiver, I was getting a signal of about 60 or 70 off of 61.5. On the 722, for transponders 22 and 25, it was 10, at best, but it was a flaky signal. So I repointed it, and now I'm getting between 20 and 25. I also changed out the SW64 to two SW21's connected to 110 and 61.5 (nothing interesting on 119, anyways). No problems after a couple of days.

I know, I need to ditch 61.5, if I insist going down this legacy path. I could point it at 148, but then I'd lose a lot of HD. Or I could point it at 129, but then no Russian channels. I do have an unused Directv dual-LNB dish, though, so I guess I could add it and try the SW64 again.

Anyway, it's been an interesting weekend.

I've subscribed for 10 years to Dish. At the start, it was the only option for Russian channels, which my wife wanted. I had to point at 61.5, though, and I'm in Oregon, but that actually wasn't too difficult (I self-installed everything).

A few days ago, I got a 722, and tried to activate it with the dishHD package. Dish wouldn't let me. They insisted on getting an installer to replace my legacy dish 500 and dish 300. With a contract, of course, and I'm not willing to do that. The supervisor said I had to get 129 to get any HD. I offered to repoint my 61.5 dish to it, but then he said, no, doesn't matter, we won't activate with your legacy dishes.

So I called back a few hours later. I told them that I now had a dish 1000.2 on my roof. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. So they activated it. My 722 was rebooting every 10 or 15 minutes, though. I thought that it was just the software updating. My SW64 went through the check switch with no problems. Uh, I was connecting through my old legacy dishes, just for kicks.

On my dish 5000 receiver, I was getting a signal of about 60 or 70 off of 61.5. On the 722, for transponders 22 and 25, it was 10, at best, but it was a flaky signal. So I repointed it, and now I'm getting between 20 and 25. I also changed out the SW64 to two SW21's connected to 110 and 61.5 (nothing interesting on 119, anyways). No problems after a couple of days.

I know, I need to ditch 61.5, if I insist going down this legacy path. I could point it at 148, but then I'd lose a lot of HD. Or I could point it at 129, but then no Russian channels. I do have an unused Directv dual-LNB dish, though, so I guess I could add it and try the SW64 again.

Anyway, it's been an interesting weekend.
How about a 1000+ (picks up 118.7 for Intls)? That what I have for German Intls. HD comes off of 129. 1000+ picks up 110, 118.7, 119 and 129. You'll need a DPP44 switch (at least that's what I have).

I'm worried about being able to lock 129 with the 1000 or 1000+. I'm also a cheapskate, so I'd like to stick with my legacy dishes, if they work.

I'm worried about being able to lock 129 with the 1000 or 1000+. I'm also a cheapskate, so I'd like to stick with my legacy dishes, if they work.

I don't know much about the details of the newer E* equipment, but my installer told me last Saturday that the Dish 1000 he was installing had all the switches built in (this as he removed all the external switches for my Dish 500 antenna).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts