HD video down conversion

clauderains

Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
I have only had voom for a few months now and have been using it with SD television. While I haven't been able to enjoy voom in all its glory, the HD channels still look great. I have called many cable/satellite providers to see if their STBs will down convert the HD signal for viewing on a SD TV and they have all said that they won't. My question is there some other way it can be done? Maybe a stand alone box that will do the conversion. Is there a way that this can be done or am I stuck with crappy picture quality and no voom originals?

The thing I like about my voom receiver......

I like the fact that it had component outputs that could down convert everything to 480 interlaced. I've got a big 35 inch analog tv in my bedroom, and the Voom service gave it the best picture quality I'd ever seen. It was even better than my Panasonic DVD player, which is supposed to have one of the best video decoder chips on board. If you've got component on your analog television, then that's the best hook up for the best picture quality on your television. It doesn't, however, look better than my dad's 1080 interlaced Mitsubishi television with the voom receiver, but it does look great for an analog television. The thing I hated about this box is that it doesn't allow the television to letterbox HD material through the component outputs. It only does it on the other hook-ups (S-video, composite, RF, etc...). I didn't mind though because my television has a 16:9 mode that allows me to automatically add letterboxing to the material.

I am hoping that the new Dish Network MPEG-4 HD recievers down convert to SD for all the SD tv's that I have since I do not plan on scrapping all of my tv's.

Does anyone know if I will be able to switch between the anamorphic and letterboxed veiwing like on the voom STBs?

If not what will I most likely be stuck with? Hopefully the picture won't be cropped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)