HD VOD and HMDI issue...

Charade

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
I have a 612 and an old Sony HDTV (monitor/no tuner) that has DVI (no HMDI) and component. I'm using an HMDI to DVI adapter. When I try to watch an HD VOD movie is says it can't because of the HMDI isn't compatible (or something like that). Will HD VOD work with component?

The other related question. I have a 211K to a 32 LCD (1080p using HMDI) with an EHD and HD VOD isn't available on this. Why not?

Thanks!!

1) yes.. HD VOD will work with Component cables
2) the issue is that your TV is probably not supporting HDCP ... a copy protection scheme designed to stop people from illegally copying content using HD quality connections.. when the monitor can't answer an HDCP handshake .. the receiver says "nope you's not legal" and disables content display or any of a number of other things..

OK. Thanks. I'll hook up with component.

Now why isn't VOD available on the 211K with an EHD?

VOD content is downloaded to the hard drive of the receiver (a certain portion of the HDD is dedicated to it). I imagine since we don't know the size of the EHD that would be hooked up, we don't want to dedicate a portion of the EHD to VOD content (imagine having to save 50GB of a 120GB HDD for VOD content).

Just a guesstimate

Last edited:
The HDMI to DVI doesn't pass HDCP.
actually .. DVI does.. but the sink has to be HDCP compliant. A lot of older sets that were first to include DVI didn't include support for HDCP ..

The OP would need to check the specs on Sony's site ... and maybe (just maybe) there's a firmware update that would enable HDCP ... but its a long shot depending on the age of the set.. It also seems that once the push was there for HDCP compliance, that the set manufacturers really did something to make sure users *could* get firmware updates onto their sets..

This particular issue also nailed a bunch of people buying projectors for a time...

actually .. DVI does.. but the sink has to be HDCP compliant. A lot of older sets that were first to include DVI didn't include support for HDCP ..

The OP would need to check the specs on Sony's site ... and maybe (just maybe) there's a firmware update that would enable HDCP ... but its a long shot depending on the age of the set.. It also seems that once the push was there for HDCP compliance, that the set manufacturers really did something to make sure users *could* get firmware updates onto their sets..

This particular issue also nailed a bunch of people buying projectors for a time...

Read I said the HDMI TO DVI doesn't pass. I didn't say that DVI didn't. Also I would bet that with all the problems that E* had w/ the Sony HDMI HDCP that the Sony with DVI only is SOL to be compatible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)