hd vs sd

ediemash

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
lakeland,florida
is hd all that which everyone claims. what is the difference ive heard you are suppose to have an almost 3d effect, i had cable for a while and had the hd i was not impressed, actually upgrading from sd receiver to the hd receiver actually made the picture on all channels a little fuzzier , i told them that and they said yea it will make them fuzzier.

i was thinking of getting the hd pack with dishnet and i was wanting to know how everyone felt on the issue. with cable i paid $10 for their channels and they only had a few and i know dish has a lot more for just $10 more.

thanks for any input

HD is much better than SD, and I don't see any loss of pic. quality when SD is played on a HD set. I do notice that one of my HD sets has better pq for both hd and sd. Buy a good set and you won't want to go back to SD.

how did you have your cable box connected to your TV? If things were properly set up, you should have noticed a significant improvement in picture quality. But, there are a few things to watch for. First, only a few channels actually offer HDTV programming, and even fewer offer a full schedule of HDTV programming. So, even with the HD cable box, you might not have actually seen actual HD programming.

I know for me, the difference is instantly recognizable, and the upgrade to Dish's HD programming (and 622 receiver) was money well spent. Heck, I even put an antenna on my roof to get all of my local HD programming, too. It makes that much of a difference.

It makes a huge difference, but make sure your receiver is connected with component or HDMI cables and it is set to 720p or 1080i. My brother-in-law got Dish HD, but left his receiver set at 480p and thought it looked awful on his 65" TV. I changed the receiver seting to 1080i and both him and his wife said wow, what a difference.

i will be getting in dish in the next week. but as for the cable i was saying i had the hd receiver and it made it worse, i guess a big tip off would have been when they put in the receiver and used coax instead of hd , of course i changed that it made a little difference not alot. i thought it was a shame when the sd box came in clearer than the hd box.

i will be getting in dish in the next week. but as for the cable i was saying i had the hd receiver and it made it worse, i guess a big tip off would have been when they put in the receiver and used coax instead of hd , of course i changed that it made a little difference not alot. i thought it was a shame when the sd box came in clearer than the hd box.

I think something was setup wrong, who is your cable provider?

On the Dish 622, you just hit menu-6-8 and change to 1080i or 720p.

I've read each of your posts and I'm not convinced you really know what High Definition is (no disrespect). When a television is connected to an HD source properly there will be no doubt that you are watching in HD. I suggest reading these forums and understanding what it takes to bring an HD signal to your TV and then watch it. Good luck. :cool:

i have not posted much on this forum i mostly have just read passed 2 yrs, and read on other forum and any thing else dealing with hd. one should always ask question to something dont know or want other opinions on a subject.

with all ive read ive always assumed if you see something in hd you would definitely know the dif . the only hd content i have really seen so far is with the cable.

I've read each of your posts and I'm not convinced you really know what High Definition is (no disrespect). When a television is connected to an HD source properly there will be no doubt that you are watching in HD. I suggest reading these forums and understanding what it takes to bring an HD signal to your TV and then watch it. Good luck. :cool:

You must not be reading them thoroughly. You do not get HD just by simply connecting an HD DVR to an HD tv. In every HD stb I've had, settings needed changed because the default resolution was not 720 or 1080.

On top of that there is a quality difference between each provider and sometimes they are so compressed they look like crap.

My easiest way to describe it was my first experience with HD.

I had Comcast, and had just brought a Panasonic Plasma home. Tuned to Disc SD, then to Disc HD Theater. My wife and I's reaction was "holy ****".

OTA locals like CBS for CSI and NFL look even better.

You must not be reading them thoroughly. You do not get HD just by simply connecting an HD DVR to an HD tv. In every HD stb I've had, settings needed changed because the default resolution was not 720 or 1080.

On top of that there is a quality difference between each provider and sometimes they are so compressed they look like crap.

I know EXACTLY what HD programming is and what I need to do to get it and watch it. My point was that the original poster did not know when he was watching HD. It appeared he believed that simply to subscribe to HD programming was to watch HD programming. He never considered settings and programming among other things.

is hd all that which everyone claims. what is the difference ive heard you are suppose to have an almost 3d effect, i had cable for a while and had the hd i was not impressed, actually upgrading from sd receiver to the hd receiver actually made the picture on all channels a little fuzzier , i told them that and they said yea it will make them fuzzier.

i was thinking of getting the hd pack with dishnet and i was wanting to know how everyone felt on the issue. with cable i paid $10 for their channels and they only had a few and i know dish has a lot more for just $10 more.

thanks for any input

How long have you had your 60" HDTV and what were you watching on it before subscribing to HD service?

Subscribing to HD service will not make all your channels fuzzy. It's absolutely amazing that the cable company would tell you it will make your picture fuzzy when they make money from selling HD add-on service.

Subscribing to HD service does not make all your channels HD.

Did you get a new set top box when you subscribed to HD service?

Dish no longer offers HDPAK. Dish changed their entire service packaging in February and along with that made all their HD one add-on service for $20

Viewing non-HD content on an HDTV display can look fuzzy because it is a low quality picture expanded to fit your big HD tv.

SD versus HD on my 90 inch screen is VERY obvious. SD varies from tolerable to annoying. HD varies from Nice! to Holy Cow, That's an awesome picture!

You can't do this with SD:

ambientLight.jpg

ive had my hdtv for 3 yrs since the 3 hurricanes that hit florida, ive watched 4dtv,fta, and regular sd feeds on it.

my jaw dropped when the techie from brighthouse told me that picture would be worse, with all ive heard about hd receiver that even your sd channels are suppose to look a little better not worse. it was a new box when i got hd box i was put on a list i had to wait for a box, when i first picked up cable they didnt have any hd boxes in so about 2 wks later i got the hd box, on the front of the box when youre watching a hd channel 1080 would light up.

i want to thank everyone for their comments.

unfortunately the phillips tv i have doesnt have the awesome sound alot of the hdtv have, hopefully i can upgrade my tv in the next yr.

ive had my hdtv for 3 yrs since the 3 hurricanes that hit florida, ive watched 4dtv,fta, and regular sd feeds on it.

my jaw dropped when the techie from brighthouse told me that picture would be worse, with all ive heard about hd receiver that even your sd channels are suppose to look a little better not worse. it was a new box when i got hd box i was put on a list i had to wait for a box, when i first picked up cable they didnt have any hd boxes in so about 2 wks later i got the hd box, on the front of the box when youre watching a hd channel 1080 would light up.

i want to thank everyone for their comments.

unfortunately the phillips tv i have doesnt have the awesome sound alot of the hdtv have, hopefully i can upgrade my tv in the next yr.

One other note: The cable you connect your box with your tv is very important for HD. If you are using the RF coaxial output or the composite output, you will see no difference between HD and SD. Hook up component, dvi, or hdmi and make sure your set top box is outputting 1080i, you will see a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)