HD Weather Channel

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Well this will be another National Channel that everyone could get.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/weatherhd022107.htm

Weather Channel Raining Money On HDTV

The channel is spending "tens of millions" on fall high-def launch
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (February 21, 2007) -- The Weather Channel is spending "tens of millions of dollars" on its launch of a High-Definition channel this fall.

That's according to an article in Broadcasting & Cable magazine.

The Weather Channel's plan to launch a high-def simulcast of its 24-hour network was revealed last month by DIRECTV. The satcaster announced that it would offer 100 national HDTV channels by year's end and named The Weather Channel among the new offerings.

Weather Channel officials tell B&C that it's completely renovating its Atlanta studios and broadcasting equipment to get ready for the HD debut. (The network has not revealed an exact date for the launch.)

The Weather Channel's HD simulcast will be broadcast in 1080i.

"Weather is such a visual thing," Weather Channel network president Debora Wilson tells the magazine. "We're excited about presenting weather with the clarity and power that HD can provide.

Several local TV stations -- and NBC's Today Show -- have recently invested heavily to update their on-screen weather graphics for high-def broadcasts. But Wilson says her network will have to spend even more.
"It's a big investment for us," Wilson says. "It's a very different scope (than) required to convert a TV station or, frankly, even a network that is more predominantly focused on tape product. Because we're 24/7 live. We have all the components: the studio, the broadcast infrastructure and the STAR (Satellite Transponder Addressable Receiver) technology."

Network officials tells B&C that initially it will broadcast in high-def during the day with the rest of the lineup in upconverted standard definition. Field reports will gradually be switched over to high-def, with some remote high-def cameras used for the 2008 hurricane season.

To justify its investment, The Weather Channel says it hopes that cable operators will add the high-def channel this year along with DIRECTV.

Didn't D* list this at CES & in a press release as a channel they would be carrying this fall? Sort of let the cat out of the bag in January, so this is nothing new.

Yes you are correct, but I still have to ask because I never really saw an answer. Although I am all for HD additions, as we all are, what could possibly be compelling here? I watch maybe 30m in any given day IF something might be coming my way, if I am traveling, or if a relative's area is getting bad weather; what am I missing here?

I think I watch about 30 minutes of TWC in about any given 2 month period. Much easier & quicker to find out what I want to know by going to their web site. A TWC-HD channel is meaningless to me.

I am very happy that the weather channel is coming in HD. This may influence my decision on going HD in the near future as I have an interest in weather and that will make the graphs and radars look clearer with their updates they plan on having.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)