HDCP copy protection restricts a show on Joey

nmguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Albuquerque
Last night at a Joey we tried to watch USA's Covert Affairs recorded on the Hopper. We received an hdcp copy protection message and couldn't watch it. "The receiver has detected that the HD television or the digital connection to the TV does not support HDCP copy protection. Because this event follows HDCP, this event is not available for playback at this TV. To view this event on this TV, disconnect the digital cable and connect an analog cable from the receiver to the television and try playing the event again."

We've watched plenty of shows on this Joey, so not sure why this one show is throwing the error. I think it's the first USA Network show we've tried to watch however. Is a reboot needed somewhere? Is this a USA Networks phenomena? I'm assuming we could go to the Hopper to watch it, but it was bed time...

3 Service Calls this week for the same issue. All on Hopper/Joeys. All had a problem on Thursday. Problem seem to disappear on Friday. Me thinks Dish may have been fiddling with the HDCP.

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013, High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) was enabled on the following channels:
  • Bravo
  • CNBC
  • MSNBC
  • SyFy
  • USA
  • Chiller
  • Telemundo
  • Mun2
  • Universal HD

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013, High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) was enabled on the following channels:
  • Bravo
  • CNBC
  • MSNBC
  • SyFy
  • USA
  • Chiller
  • Telemundo
  • Mun2
  • Universal HD

Great. As I suspected, now this garbage is going to be on more channels, and probably more in the future. HDCP doesn't stop piracy. Hell HDCP has been cracked wide open for a few years now. All it does is cause problems for legitimate users.

When I was with D* a few years ago they initiated HDCP on HBO and Showtime. I was running a TV, which is HDCP compliant, in the basement off of the RCA jacks thru a modulator. That TV wouldn't play the HDCP protected channels unless I left the main TV on. The same setup works ok with the Hopper.

I had it do that last week and I just unplugged the HDMI cable from the back of the TV and plugged it back in and it worked fine.

That sounds like the message we get when we try to play Epix movies on the bedroom Hopper which is connected through an HDMI switch due to the optical output problem on the HWS. This sounds like we are headed for a lot of trouble if my wife can't watch her shows because of this HDCP nonsense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts