Hdcp error when mirroring TVs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
I connected LR TV to HWS with 5 component cables. Connected office TV to same HWS with 25 foot HDMI cable. Everything worked fine until this morning when DW tried to view free prevue of HBO.
She saw HDCP message instead of movie. She yelled at me. I called Dish. I could temporarily fix the problem by disconnecting all cables then reconnecting component cables to LR TV. As soon as I reconnect HDMI to second TV error reoccurs.

Is there a real solution to this problem while still viewing both TVs and not adding a Joey?

That will happen if the HDMI connected TV is off.
Possible solutions would be:
Get a HDMI splitter and run HDMI to both TV's.
Get a component splitter and run component to both TV"s.
It will also work to just make sure the HDMI connected TV is turned ON.

Reactions: Stormy_2021
This.

So I have this problem on my new Hopper installation. I'm using an RF mod to mirror from a Joey to one TV and a 2nd RF mod to mirror from the Hopper to another TV. Without having the HDMI-connected TV on, is there any way to mirror using the existing coax and not get this error?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The easy way to fix this (though it may not be a permanent fix) is to not use HDMI with a TV that doesn't always respond to HDCP checks.

That's kind of my core problem. When the HDMI-connected TV is on, everything works great. When it is off, I get this error on the RF-mod/coax-connected TV's.

That's kind of my core problem.
That's why I offered the solution I did.

As far as I know, if there aren't any HDMI connected devices, the analog outputs will remain live.

It seems counter-intuitive to me that they wouldn't disable them on all flagged content, but they currently aren't so you can take advantage.

Apologies, I'm not tracking how your suggestion would work. I have HDMI to 1 TV. It never has the HDCP error. I have analog to a 2nd TV via RF-mod/coax. That 2nd TV has the HDCP error if TV 1 is not turned on. Do you think I should unplug the HDMI and use analog for both? Thx

Apologies, I'm not tracking how your suggestion would work. I have HDMI to 1 TV. It never has the HDCP error. I have analog to a 2nd TV via RF-mod/coax. That 2nd TV has the HDCP error if TV 1 is not turned on. Do you think I should unplug the HDMI and use analog for both? Thx

Correct unplug the HDMI and use component for the HD connection and your HDCP error will go away.

Interesting. I will try that when I get home. Will that work on a Joey? I seem to recall that only having composite.

Just curious.....would a component-to-HDMI converter also work? I only have an HDMI cable running up thru the wall to the TV.

I haven't used one but it should since you would be using the component connection on the Hopper.

Just curious.....would a component-to-HDMI converter also work? I only have an HDMI cable running up thru the wall to the TV.

If you use component cabling you will also need to bring red and white audio cabling to the TV as well. I don't know if a component to HDMI converter allows for an audio attachment as well....

Is your tv a samsung dlp? I have the same problem, although it seems to come and go and I haven't had it recently. I'm wondering if newer software on the hopper has changed the check of HDCP?

A couple of the TV's are Samsung. I worked around the problem on my Hopper (which is connected to a Sony receiver & TV) by using the component / optical audio outputs (no HDMI cable). The problem went right away.

The wireless Joey never has the problem being plugged into one of the Samsung TV's.

The wired Joey had the problem when connected to a Vizio TV. I unplugged the HDMI from the Vizio and plugged it back in and the problem went away (at least for now).

What a crazy-making error. We also have this problem from time to time on our Apple TV's. Whoever "invented" HDCP should be kicked in the butt by everyone who's been troubled by this problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple of the TV's are Samsung. I worked around the problem on my Hopper (which is connected to a Sony receiver & TV) by using the component / optical audio outputs (no HDMI cable). The problem went right away.

The wireless Joey never has the problem being plugged into one of the Samsung TV's.

The wired Joey had the problem when connected to a Vizio TV. I unplugged the HDMI from the Vizio and plugged it back in and the problem went away (at least for now).

What a crazy-making error. We also have this problem from time to time on our Apple TV's. Whoever "invented" HDCP should be kicked in the butt by everyone who's been troubled by this problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beleive Intel was behind that one. I do agree. It was a great idea, terrible execution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)