HDCP - How does it affect DISH?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

3HaloODST

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Earth
Hi all,

I've been wondering about this for a couple of days. All research I have done on the Internet signifies that at least as of now, HDCP only affects PocketDISH?

I have seen old forum postings, from 2007, stating that non-HDCP-compliant TVs, or those using component outputs will be limited to the "next best" picture, from certain movie channels?

I haven't seen any evidence to support such claims, that are recent, so I would like to know if anyone has an idea of how HDCP will affect DISH Network viewers?

I have also heard that it affects 1080p VOD, but I don't really mind that.

I prefer to use component cables on my HDTVs, due to compatibility issues on one TV, and on the other I have too many HDMI devices anyway, so I'd rather use the component outputs rather than plugging it into an HDMI switch.

I'm surprised this hasn't been talked about more - or at least I wasn't able to find any such discussions.

Thanks!

I haven't seen any evidence to support such claims, that are recent, so I would like to know if anyone has an idea of how HDCP will affect DISH Network viewers?

The same as will affect every provider. You already know the what. What we don't know is the if and when. I would not be losing sleep over it.

The same as will affect every provider. You already know the what. What we don't know is the if and when. I would not be losing sleep over it.

I suppose that means that the "next best" theory is not in effect yet. I guess it'll be all over the Internet if it ever happens.

Nah, not too worried, can always switch to HDMI if absolutely necessary.

Worse than "next best" is that the FCC has allowed a plan to proceed where content owners will, at will and when they feel like it, SHUT OFF all non HDCP connections. Yes, we are talking about content provided by sat and cable. As presented to the FCC, the shut off of all non-HDCP connections would occur for select content, not necessarily all. So, yeah, corporate Big Brother is effectively gonna come in to your home and essentially disconnect all your analog outputs whenever they feel like, just cause they can--NO WAIT--because our government has given its blessing to do it. This news was well covered at the time (a month or 2 ago?) and CNET also ran the story. Do a Google search and see for yourself.

Of course non of this address the Fair Use provision (allowing recordings and copies of such recordings for personal use--and the precedent is for 3rd party devices such as VCR's DVD recorders, etc. not for limiting Fair Use to only DVR's) and it seems the FCC could not care less about Fair Use or the notion that the consumer ought to have the ultimate authority as to which output he or she wishes to view or record the content.

I have a few of my NON-DVR Dish boxes connected to DVR recorders (DVD RAM and internal HDD) that act as a DVR (my Panny DVD Recorders). Yes, I do record HD content (the PQ is so much better than the SD Dish channel) to my Panny DVD recorders using, obviously, my analog outputs. Watching back in SD is fine for our uses for it, like CNN, the local news, etc. That is just one example of Fair Use and analog outputs being active to allow me to exercise my right to 3rd party recorders without having to pay Dish for another DVR unit or some such other solution.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)