HDCP is now ON, if you have a non-HDCP compliant HDTV change to COMPONENT

Mr. Biggles said:
I doubt the two are related. Non-conformance should result in the message I recieved from the V* STB that I posted on the first message in this thread.

I'm guessing your 'black outs' (which I never have had ) is related to something else...what I don't know.

Bill
Haven't had any "blackouts" since switching to component cables-an occurance echoed by others in various threads-seems to be a dvi issue for sure since this is the only connection that causes "blackouts" for myself and, it appears, many others. My advice-go with comp. uintil the bug is exterminated!!! Go get'em Wilt!!!!!!

eschu97611 said:
an occurance echoed by others in various threads-seems to be a dvi issue for sure since this is the only connection that causes "blackouts" for myself and, it appears, many others. My advice-go with comp. uintil the bug is exterminated!!! Go get'em Wilt!!!!!!

I've read those as you have.

The fact that everyone isn't experiencing it, including myself, is the mystery in it's self.

Bill

The move to HDCP was announced a number of months ago by Wilt. Given the pairwise condition of blackouts with certain vendor equipment may mean it is partly an issue with both parties. REgardless, Voom should fix it's end as quickly as possible as announced.

Just a quicky blurb if anyone is interested.

Recieved my Gefen 4x1 DVI switch today and happy to report that it works perfectly. Not to happy I had to spend $314, but it lets me connect my V* reciever, D* reciever (soon to be canceled), Desktop from HTPC video card and DVI of my scaler card.

Wilt again confirmed that new programming contracts require HDCP. Wilt's response on the HDCP issue:
On other boards, there are a lot of talk concerning the addition of HDCP support in the latest STB software. Could you clarify the reason for supporting HDCP now, rather than a year from now?

1) Voom plans to add some unique content, or some unique delivery system where the content providers are requiring HDCP before they are allowed to implement it.

2) Voom is a victim of timing. One or more existing (or upcoming) channels are requiring HDCP for carriage - and they will require the same from D* and E* once their contracts come up for renewal.

3) Supporting HDCP will lower the costs of content acquisition, thereby allowing VOOM to acquire more content than might have been possible otherwise.

4) Some other reason.

Which is it?
All new programming agreements seem to mandate it in the presence of digital connectors(outputs); we're new with all new contracts and 1+1=2. :)

Of course, the HD focus pushes the idea as well. Everyone will need to do it anyway.
Wilt

All new programming agreements seem to mandate it in the presence of digital connectors(outputs); we're new with all new contracts and 1+1=2. :)
Of course, the HD focus pushes the idea as well. Everyone will need to do it anyway.
Wilt
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 1:42 PM
To: VOOM@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [VOOM] Wilt: Why enable HDCP now?

Wilt,

On other boards, there are a lot of talk concerning the addition
of HDCP support in the latest STB software. Could you clarify the
reason for supporting HDCP now, rather than a year from now?

1) Voom plans to add some unique content, or some unique delivery
system where the content providers are requiring HDCP before they are
allowed to implement it.

2) Voom is a victim of timing. One or more existing (or upcoming)
channels are requiring HDCP for carriage - and they will require the
same from D* and E* once their contracts come up for renewal.

3) Supporting HDCP will lower the costs of content acquisition,
thereby allowing VOOM to acquire more content than might have been
possible otherwise.

4) Some other reason.

Which is it?

I wasn't sure which thread to post this in so I will post it here also.
I don't know if this is a HDCP issue for the new software.

I have had to switch my video connection from DVI to Component due
to random losses of picture on DVI. I was able to tell that it was a total
loss of picture signal because my Pioneer 1110 displays a status window
each time this would occur. This is really a shame as the DVI does yield
better picture quality. I never had this problem before the new software
was loaded. I guess I will settle for less in hopes of a fix soon.

Add another user to blackout of the DVI port at random since the software upgrade.
I also get alot of lockups since then too. I probably have to reboot the box 2 times a day. :(

I have an HDCP DVI compliant set. But I still use component cables. It gives me far better color saturation than DVI. I will hate it if they downrezz the component outputs in the future and force me to use DVI.

I bet........

"Wilt,

On other boards, there are a lot of talk concerning the addition
of HDCP support in the latest STB software. Could you clarify the
reason for supporting HDCP now, rather than a year from now?

1) Voom plans to add some unique content, or some unique delivery
system where the content providers are requiring HDCP before they are
allowed to implement it.

2) Voom is a victim of timing. One or more existing (or upcoming)
channels are requiring HDCP for carriage - and they will require the
same from D* and E* once their contracts come up for renewal.

3) Supporting HDCP will lower the costs of content acquisition,
thereby allowing VOOM to acquire more content than might have been
possible otherwise.

4) Some other reason."

Gang, I'm going out on limb here but I think they're looking to move to an HD on demand service. I think traditional premium channels likely wouldn't be twisting Voom's arm in this, but if Voom is looking to add HD on demand - where the consumer and pause and rewind the program to record it, they'd need the HDCP enabled. Either way, I think this is a good thing. Then again- I have an HDCP enabled set, so I can't speak for everyone! :D

Let me add that E* or D* are not required now but when the next contract for Premium channels (HBO, STarz, Showtime, etc) is negotiated by E* or D*, they might be required to turn on HDCP. It is just a matter of time and this is reality -- it will happen.

Hi guys,
I designed a mod kit which can disable the HDCP protection.
It's not HACK the HDCP encryption.

But I'm not sure whether I can sell it and not violeting the DMCA.

Any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts