Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Anyone having HDCP messages on premium channels (HBO, Max, etc)?

Over at dbstalk some are reporting they can't watch via component output on HBO. I use HBO on a couple HR24s via component and haven't had any issues as of yet. I have HDMI running to one TV (long runs) and component running to others (short runs) and only use one at a time.

Curious if anyone has run into HDCP yet, and what their setup looks like.

It sounds as though Directv is going to enable HDCP for all premium channels in the near future.

Now from what we were talking about before, it's only on Non HDMI Connections ...

So now I will need to remove my 50 ft Component cables and spend money on a HDMI to feed the other TV ?

This is ONLY for Premiums, right ?

As of now it's only for premium but providers are wanting them all protected bit as of now it's still just the premiums

As of now it's only for premium but providers are wanting them all protected bit as of now it's still just the premiums

Thats alright, they can't do it on Locals and the majority of my viewing is on the Networks except for my RSN and USA and Scifi.

Problem is, I think the recvrs only have 1 HDMI on them, so how do they want you to feed your second TV's ?

Simple, get an additional box. Add to that any lease / mirroring fees. Also, don't forget a contract and a tech visit.

It's ridiculous!

Simple, get an additional box. Add to that any lease / mirroring fees. Also, don't forget a contract and a tech visit.

It's ridiculous!

I already have an addl. box.

No need for a Tech visit either.

The solution to my problem would be to break down and pay D* another $3 p/m for MRV.

I really hate the ticky tack fees, what really burns me is most other providers don;t charge for MRV.

Only bad part about this is that some High Def TVs do not have HDMI inputs. They are usually the small picture or low budget TV's that do not have HDMI but component. So it means that some people will have to upgrade their TV's to ones that have HDMI inputs.

Copying is the reason and its a stupid one. Considering there are full blue ray rips of everything and anything on every torrent site known to man. Much higher quality than anything D* or any provider push to their box. Regardless HDMI's master key was hacked years ago. Its worthless.

HBO has been doing this on Dish for a while now. People who only use component don't have a problem.

The people that are reporting problems on Dish are ones with older HDMI TVs that aren't HDCP compliant. Some people with newer TVs that aren't registering with the Dish receivers correctly are also having problems. Some TVs only pass the HDCP signal while the TV is on so some people with a 722 style receiver are reporting that they can only watch HBO on TV2 (coax only) while TV 1 is powered on. If it works the same way on Directv some of you that are mirroring to a second TV over component may have a problem when TV 1 is powered off.

The solution DIRT has been giving to people in the Dish thread who are having problems is to use component cables. HDCP doesn't go into effect on Dish receivers when there is no HDMI cable plugged in. Luckily all of my TVs and AVRs are registering as HDCP compliant so this isn't an issue for me.

It's ridiculous!

Uhh, no. Just need an HDMI "one into two" box. Takes one output from the Dish receiver, and makes it into two. Many of us use that now before anything to do with HDCP. Be sure to get one that will power both outputs/TV's at the same time.

Or - as mentioned use component cables.

Well, on the two HR24s that I use component and HDMI I have not run into any HDCP messages on HDMI or Component, testing 501 HBO.

One HR24 is hooked to a 4-1 HDMI Splitter, but only one TV is in use at a time, and seems to be working fine.

I think the people that are getting the HDCP message have older TV's that don't make the handshake or are using a HDMI->DVI connection or such.

I have seven TVs running off the two HR24s and haven't had HDCP come up on any of them, thankfully.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)