HDD-200 - No Sound on High Def Transponders

Status
Please reply by conversation.

steph_in_stockings

Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Help--
Perhaps someone else has experienced something like this. I have a new system, Motorola DSR-922 with HDD-200 High Def Decoder (plus Panasonic DLP). Playing through TV, not a digital sound processor. I have subscriptions to HD channels; I get this great picture but no sound.
Today, that is. Yesterday, I did get a picture and sound when I hooked it up.
No loose cables; choose a menu option on the 922 and sound is there (but no picture, just the menu); exit from the menu -- no sound, just picture. Grrrrr :)
Tried "CC" button on Hdd-200, no help. Changed audio settings on 922; no help. Pull the High speed interface cable and sound is there but of course no picture (that's reasonable though with the cable pulled). The point is that there is no problem with this equipment; as well, it's brand new. No VCR hookup to interfere and confuse; it is directly connected between the HDD-200 and the DSR-922. I have no idea what else to check. And why might it work on HD Theater and HBO HD channels yesterday, but not last night, today, tonight, etc?

Is my HDD-200 flakey?

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks so much,
Steph

Have you accidentally pushed a mute button? I'm sure your tv has one and I know the 4dtv does. Can't think of anything else. Something you might try? Unplug the 4dtv for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in and let it reboot. If this doesn't help, sorry.

Al

Edit: Motorola Tech Support... 1-800-976-5174

Run a set of audio composite cables directly from your 92X unit to the same input on your tv as the HDD200 is hooked to. There is no need to get audio via HDD unless you are using D.D. audio input.

Thank you for the welcome.

And thank you, VoomVoom for the tip. I unplugged the DSR-922, let it rest for a half-minute or so, and powered it back up. Tuned to C4-600 (DiscHDTheater) and the prettiest picture and yes !!! SOUND !!! .... well, actually it isn't quite that loud ... :)

Wow, thank you, thank you for the advice. So now I have to ask, does this unit use Windows '95 as an operating system because you always had to re-boot it? I'm kidding of course but not entirely. Time will tell, but I wonder if I will need to "re-boot" on any regular basis.

I do notice that the volume is about four or five notches below typical. By that I mean when you go to the DSR-922 menu the volume rises significantly (sound is probably coming through the 922 at this time whereas when the menu is exited the volume comes through the HDD-200). Go to a non-hdd transponder and the volume jumps notably as well. The HDD-200 volume is just comparatively low; is this typical? I'll learn to live with it though ... certainly superior to no sound at all. Thanks again!

.... now, to figure out my ota issue on local channel 9 (rural Kansas City): such as buy a new antenna to replace the existing (12 year old) unit in my attic, try a different in-line amplifier, etc.

... and learn how to peak this old 10 foot mesh.

... and, did I say ... thanks!

Steph

P.S. Also, I just noted the re-cabling suggestion from "Satellite Expert". From the behaviors I have experienced thus far I believe that will level my volume. I need to buy some (more) higher quality audio cable yet, so I will try that after I make my cable purchase. And I need to shop out a Surround Sound processor (5.1, 7.1, don't know enough to make an informed choice yet).

... and now a replacement inline ota adjustable gain amplifier (replaced the old fixed gain inline amplifier) has perked up my local digital broadcast reception so that I can watch my local stations in hi def. Wow, what a great day for the TV part of life. Now if it works day in and day out ...

Thanks to all,
Steph

Status
Please reply by conversation.