HDD on Our 508 Finally Dieing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brentp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Looks like the HDD on our 508 is finally dieing after ~ 4years. I can't remember how long, but we bought this just as Dish was adding the DVR fees and we jump at a special 508 price with no-DVR fee grandfather option.

Last week we started getting audio drop outs, then video would freeze and skip forward. This rapidly got worse. Thinking I could fix it, I performed a push button reset. Oh no, . . . the system would go through the init sequence, reset itself, and repeat the loop. So, . . . a hard reset (unplug for ~ 10 min) was in order and it fortunately came back. Live shows ok, but same recorded show issues. After finding some diagnostic codes on-line, I ran the HDD diag #1 (pause-1), and it came back with an error. Must be a bad HDD I figured.

What to do? We didn't really feel like going the DHPP for a month route - this DVR doesn't owe us much anymore. So, . . . we agreed just to call Dish and see what they would offer. After ~ 15 minutes of 'diagnostics', the on-line tech said, . . . "your HDD is corrupted and can't be repaired". As they say in the Guinness commercials - Brilliant!! :)

Ok - how much to fix? A refurbished 508 for $19.99 plus $14.99 for shipping (2 - days). Seamed reasonable to us - for $35 we will get this unit replaced with a call on Monday and a new unit at our door on Wednesday. About the cost of a new HDD I would say. Anyway - thought I'd pass this along as an alternative route to others that might be needing replacement 508s.

Very positive response from Dish I would say, . . . now if we could only migrate from our Dish 6000 to the Vip622 without having to fork over $21/month we would be VERY happy. Just can’t justify $252/year plus the $199 upfront ($450 first year) for an HD PVR plus a few extra HD channels. Oh well, . . . that's another topic I guess. :)

Last edited:
This gets better, . . . I looked at my online bill last night and the shipping shows $0.0. So this may have only been $20 to replace.

Receiver arrived yesterday and we are back in business!!! Works out just right, . . . we are headed out for the weekend and wanted to record a number of shows.

Great that things worked out so well. I'm surprised they still have 508s to send out.

FWIW, once you watch a bit of HD, you'll probably decide $20/month or so is well worth it.

Great that things worked out so well. I'm surprised they still have 508s to send out.

FWIW, once you watch a bit of HD, you'll probably decide $20/month or so is well worth it.

Agreed on the HD being worth something. We already have have HD, love it, & can get ~ 14 local digital stations OTA. We are also grandfathered in on the original Dish HD $10/month package. We the lease fees, DVR fees, and required HD Package upgrade, we just don't see $240/year ($450 first year) as justified for an HD PVR and a few more HD channels.

I'm sure our hand will be forced at sometime, . . . but until then, . . .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts