Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
What are the benefits of the GUI version over the non-GUI one?

I read that the GUI one was only important to have if you owned a 4:3 set but that didn't seem right. I figured it let you upconvert / downconvert everything to 1080i/720p etc.

What format is the 4DTV HD stuff in? Is it all 1080i? any 720p at all?

One last question - can a non-GUI HDD200 be upgraded to GUI? Is it expensive to do so?

Thanks,

I own a non-gui version hdd-200 and I use it on both my 16X9 and 4X3 HDTV's.
Works great. I personally would rather have a non-gui version because I have read they dont have the STARZ bug that requires you to send the receiver to motorola for repair. As I dont own a GUI version I dont know the difference between the 2 decoders. But while viewing SD content on my 4x3 tv through the HDD-200 the picture does not come up as full screen but with bars on the side just like it does on my 16x9 tv. So maybe thats what the GUI version does that the non-gui does not. But to get around this issue when I am watching SD content on the 4x3 tv I just dont use the HDD-200 decoder as a line doubler I just use the composite outs on the 922 as it has a much better picture. And if your thinking about buying one go ahead and get it. DicoveryHD theater on C-band blows away the one that they are not bitching about over in the Dishnet forum. And it puts the VoomLites to shame. Believe me I had both services at the same time.

I have the GUI

kbghdg said:
I own a non-gui version hdd-200 and I use it on both my 16X9 and 4X3 HDTV's.
Works great. I personally would rather have a non-gui version because I have read they dont have the STARZ bug that requires you to send the receiver to motorola for repair. As I dont own a GUI version I dont know the difference between the 2 decoders. But while viewing SD content on my 4x3 tv through the HDD-200 the picture does not come up as full screen but with bars on the side just like it does on my 16x9 tv. So maybe thats what the GUI version does that the non-gui does not. But to get around this issue when I am watching SD content on the 4x3 tv I just dont use the HDD-200 decoder as a line doubler I just use the composite outs on the 922 as it has a much better picture. And if your thinking about buying one go ahead and get it. DicoveryHD theater on C-band blows away the one that they are not bitching about over in the Dishnet forum. And it puts the VoomLites to shame. Believe me I had both services at the same time.

Hi:
I have the GUI version. I think that it is only a firmware flash and the first HDD200 I received had the Starz Bug. It was quickly replaced by the vendor, and now this one is excellent.

The GUI version lets you switch between 4x3, 4x3 stretched, and 16x9 outputs. I have a Plasma TV so the 16x9 w/ black bars was not a great optiion. 4x3 stretched gives minimal distortion.

Personally, I found the line doubler a little disapointing in the HDD200 for upconversions, so I let the TV do it (much newer processing)

The set works great anyway!
jeff

Sounds good. I'm thinking that GUI vs non-GUI won't make much difference for me then (16x9 set). I might just be able to ditch cable all together if I can ever get FX on 4DTV :cool:.

Maybe I'll just plant a Tivo at a friend's house :devil:.

Shawn95GT said:
Sounds good. I'm thinking that GUI vs non-GUI won't make much difference for me then (16x9 set). I might just be able to ditch cable all together if I can ever get FX on 4DTV :cool:.

Shawn,
Just a reminder my freind with the HOA in Mesa,AZ is still interested in your small 5ft. dish. He is currently trying to do c-band with a 36inch micro-bud with horrible results.

16x9 set

Shawn95GT said:

Actually, that is the trap that I let myself be drawn into. WHEN YOU PUT THE HDD200 IN 16X9 YOU GET BLACK BARS on 4x3 formatted stuff. The 4x3 stretch mode made the HDD200 very workable with the 16x9 Plasma!! I always hated black bars, and with Plasma would cause some burn in over a long period of time.

I recommend the GUI Version so at least you get to choose!! I would also question the vendor you buy it from about the Starz bug and their policy.

My vendor or did not make me wait for a motorola RMA, He sent me another unit in a prepaid return box...All is nice (as much as we have)...I MEAN VERY NICE!!!
I was never a fan of THX, but this new Pioneer Elite 72x and the Mirage Omnipolor speakers really sound terrific on the 922/HDD200. Have been adding the THX effect to regular DD 5.1 content....sounds great!

For some reason the HDD200 seems to have a better sound section for 5.1 than the 922, if that is possible? The dynamic range of 5.1 on the HDD200 seems greater than on the 922 in 5.1. Could be my imagination.

Regards
jeff

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts