HDDVR add-ons - will they work with Voom?

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
In flipping through the manual of my TV I see they offer an add-on HD DVR box that connects to the TV via Firewire. It's the RCA DVR10

In reading the TV's Manual, it seems that with a DVR10 connected, it will only record HD content. This is't a HUGE loss, but definately a detractor.

According to the DVR10 manual it will record 9 hours HD or 40 hours SD.

Maybe instead of hooking this box to the TV it'd hook direct to the SAT box. Does the Voom Box have a Firewire connection?

Shawn

Replying to myself but it looks like no Firewire on the Voom Box:

DSR-550back.jpg

I wonder if it'll pass the signal from the Voom Box onto the Firewire port onthe TV. I'll have to experiment with my camcorder.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
I wonder if it'll pass the signal from the Voom Box onto the Firewire port onthe TV. I'll have to experiment with my camcorder.
Since your camcorder is most likely SD, it won't help you much with HD signal.
No, you won't be able to record VOOM signal on a third-party HD DVR.

Ilya said:
Since your camcorder is most likely SD, it won't help you much with HD signal.
No, you won't be able to record VOOM signal on a third-party HD DVR.

I had a question about my account and asked about the DVR and this is what I got this morning.

"As for our dvr, we are actively working on and testing our HD-DVR and we expect to release it in the first half of 2005. However, its release date and pricing has not been set at this time. The VOOM HD-DVR also has multiple tuners, allowing you to record a program while watching a live program or one that you’ve previously recorded! In the mean time, there are several commercially available, VOOM-compatible alternatives to record your favorite programs.

TiVo and other commercially available DVR's are compatible with VOOM and can be used to record your favorite standard definition programming. If you are interested in recording high definition programming, a D-VHS machine will allow you to do so. However, D-VHS does not provide the full functionality of a DVR.

Thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in High Definition programming!

Tiffany P.
VOOM Email Support"

That has to be one of the dumbest things CSRs have said to date. All it would get you is a lovely SVideo recording.

Indeed, but she is trying. ;) I'm staying with Voom until the bitter end. Maybe somebody with a clue will buy their content, which I do enjoy. Maybe D* will so I will finally have some HD content worth recording other than OTA and an occasional HDnet movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts