Hddvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lilymaebelle

Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Good Morning,

About 2 months ago, Directv installed a new HDDVR receiver for me along with a 5 lnb Multi-Sat Dish for use with my HD plasma tv. I now have 2 other tv's (not HD) in 2 other rooms in my house and I would like to somehow connect them to my HDDVR so that I can watch the same tv show or recording in which ever room that I am in. What equipment to I have to buy and how do set it up. I appreciate your help since I am a novice at this. Thanks !!

Lilymaebelle

:welcome LilyMaeBelle

So you want a DVR in one room viewable in another room?

Here's a thread that talked about the same thing. I will let you read it first before I get into more details. The skinny is, its possible, but you need to do a few things for it to work.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-dvr-forum/102493-place-shifting-dvr-content.html

If you want non-HD it can be as simple as running a coax to the other rooms. However, the HR20 does not do coax out so you need to buy a converter that takes the composite video/audio and changes it to coax. Or use a VCR.

Let me know if interested in hearing more.

Thank you very much Brewer4 !

My 2 other rooms do have coax cable in them. What type of converter would I have to buy ?

I use a Recoton DVD647 RF Modulator. It takes the composite video/audio from HR20 and makes it work on RF coax. If you can trace the coax line from the receiver room to the other room, then all you need to do is plug the coax into the older TV and tune to either Channel 3 or 4 depending on what you configured on Modulator. If the TV's dont have a coax in, then you have to use a VCR or another Modulator to get the signal from coax to composite.

Just remember, you might need a splitter to get the signal to more then one room. I am assuming the coax goes from a room to a central spot somewhere in the house. Its that spot that you might need to trace the line to the receiver room and the other TV rooms. Splitting it will allow the same RF content to be viewable in both TV rooms. You might need to get a simple RF coax splitter. You can get all this at Radio Shack or other local electronics stores.

You can then use the remote on the HR20 in RF mode to control the receiver. You can do via infrared but you then need an extender. The easiest way is configure the receiver and remote to RF and you can walk out of the room to the TV rooms and control the receiver.

Let me know if you get stuck.

Brewer4

I owe you a case of beer when we meet up !!
Thanks to your avise, I have tv reception in every room !!
I really appreciate your help !!!!!

Awesome. Glad it worked out. Its great isnt it? I love pausing something, walking into the next room and starting it back up again. Too bad you cant send beer through the Internet but I am working on that! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts