Hddvr

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
fort lauderdale
Hi-def Dvr H10-250

It took me about six call's to retention to finally get a hi-def tivo. The last person I talked to noticed the last CSR put a note on my account for selling a hi-def tivo for $499.99 - $149.00 = $349.00. He asked me what I wanted and I told him I just want the best deal I can get without having to call every day and keep getting different answers. He checked my record and told me I could have one for $19.00 ( s/h ) + hi-def and showtime free for three months:) . All this took less than 2 minutes. I then told him I would need a OTA antenna ( $49.00 ), he said they would install that and a new dish if needed also relocate my existing tivo to the master bedroom. Im about 19 miles from the miami antenna farm so I dont see a problem getting the network channels thru the antenna. Considering I dont have the sunday ticket package I think I got a great deal. any thoughts ? anybody here in the ft. lauderdale area getting OTA networks thro a HD10-250 ? any thoughts ?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am south of your area, assuming you are east of i95, most of the stations are fairly close and in a fairly tight grouping to the northwest of myself, so should be about the same for you.

Also, when our area goes to MPEG4, you will need to get a new HD DVR (due sometime this year) and the new AT9 dish (it's probable you got the AT9 with your install already, depending on when you had the install done).

This site will give you a good idea of what you can expect wrt OTA based on your zip code, click on 'Choose an antenna' on the link below to begin.

http://www.antennaweb.org

Last edited:
Thanxs. i asked the CSR at directv what kind of antenna they would install and all he could say is that it would be a outdoor type. I tried a amplified indoor antenna before and i recieved almost all except for channels 7 and 10 ( VHF ) ??? hopefully a outdoor will work fine. Im in Oakland Park / Ft. Lauderdale

johnml said:
Thanxs. i asked the CSR at directv what kind of antenna they would install and all he could say is that it would be a outdoor type. I tried a amplified indoor antenna before and i recieved almost all except for channels 7 and 10 ( VHF ) ??? hopefully a outdoor will work fine. Im in Oakland Park / Ft. Lauderdale

Well, most (not all) of what I hear about the D* issued OTA antanna, has been on the poor side, but there is no harm in seeing how it works for your situation, and going from there, you can always exchange theirs for a better one down the road, for myself I do ok with a Silver sensor indoor antenna (once I relocated it away from the TV (i.e. when I had ot on top of the TV, it sucked, until I read something on here about how that can degrade the signals), it's not as good as a rooftop (besides one Wilma, and it'd be gone), but I only use it when the sat isn't available, and it's a good picture (on a non-HD TV), YMMV.

Last edited:
yea. i also had my indoor antenna on top of my tv so, maybe that was the problem. i lost my outdoor antenna due to wilma last year. i hope directv puts up a comparable antenna. i guess if worse comes to worse antenna.org says i should use a multidirectional antenna which Lowes sells for $30.00 - thanks for the info

south florida here

hey there..plantation here...i got free HD DVR, free SUPERFAN and freeHD for 12mo on very first call(sorry).

I get all locals plus West Palm locals with a $7 pair of rabbit ears from WALMART (RCA brand)

ralphfurley said:
hey there..plantation here...i got free HD DVR, free SUPERFAN and freeHD for 12mo on very first call(sorry).

I get all locals plus West Palm locals with a $7 pair of rabbit ears from WALMART (RCA brand)

I am wondering if you get channel 29 (in west palm), some years back we (ft laud area) used to get 29 (on the weak side but watchable), than one day it disappeared from the air for me, is channel 29 still in operations there? I miss it, D* doesn't give it to us here.

the antenna is probably the winegard sensar - http://www.winegard.com/mobile/sensar.htm (minus the rv mount) - its ok, not the greatest, but works ok for me in my situation - which is 22 miles out from the Cincinnati towers with level terrain. A true uhf/vhf antenna will work better, but I would try the sensar. Keep in mind, as damage said - Your Milage May Vary.

johnml said:

Fox 29

FOX (WPB) 29-1 and 29-2 (the tube) come in bright and clear. I also get NBC (5) , CBS (12) and PBS (42). No luck with the ABC affiliate. all with the $7 RCA antenna from WALMART.

i recieved my antenna and i recieve everything but channel 10 (abc) the tech insisted it was because my neighbor has a tree that blocks the signal, even though he adjusted it and i picked up that signal but lost a few others ??? guess ill have to buy another. directv is going to send another tech out next friday to try to adjust it again and if that wont work they said they will credit my account $5.00 for 12 months - not a bad deal

i think its a pro band from eagle aspen - UHF DTV2BUHF - i think a couple of networks here in ft,. lauderdale/miami are VHF:confused:

johnml said:
i think its a pro band from eagle aspen - UHF DTV2BUHF - i think a couple of networks here in ft,. lauderdale/miami are VHF:confused:

I need to chime in here, im in pem pines and channel 10's signal stinks! For some reason thats the hardest to get channel. I get 5, 12, 29, 42 besides for the normal local ones. I havea terk55 up in my attic and it works well, aimed half way at miami and half at wpb. Channel 10 doesnt come in good (signal 65-73) fluctuating at every persons house I've seen it at. Ive even called Engineering but didnt get much help. 4 and 6 I get almost at 98-100% 7 is around 75-80 but its much better then 10. The wpb abc i cant get any signal on.

The terk55 was 100.00 at bb or ccircity and worked well as soon as i got off the ground and away from electronics.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)