HDMI cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wolfiefan

Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
I am trying to find an affordable HDMI cable that is at least 75 feet long. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to locate one?
Thanks

I doubt that you'll be happy with a 75 feet HDMI cable. That's past the practical length limit. Yes, I know that the HDMI spec does not specify a max cable length and you can probably find one to buy that is this long (I doubt it would work though). You're not going to find that 75 feet is practical without some hoop-jumping (amps, equalizers, extenders, repeaters, et.al.) 50 feet is really pushing it, and that's for a very high quality cable and components on either end that are "cooperative". I would stick with 25 feet or less. Preferably 15 feet or less. The best prices I've seen are at monoprice as others have mentioned. But don't go buying a 75 footer and expecting it to actually work.

Monoprice has a standard and a High quality line of cables.

I have ordered the desired cable in Component and it worked very well, I believe it was either 75 or 100'.
I already had the audio cables ran.

The service was very good as well.

Jimbo

I have ordered the desired cable in Component and it worked very well, I believe it was either 75 or 100'.
Component can go much farther than HDMI without experiencing any problems. The big gotcha for component though, is when everything starts enforcing HDCP as a prerequisite for HD display. Component can't do that.

If you look at abccables dot com slash info-hdmi-max-length, just type that into the address line using the appropriate symbols for the text,you will see why HDMI cables pretty much peak out after 50 feet. ABC Cables is a company that specializes in cables, they should know what they are talking about. If you want to go longer you can, but don't look for cheap or low cost. You will have to get a cable that has a built in signal booster. Also, for longer runs, you will need heavier duty twisted pair wires which run more money. The twisted pair is in fact what effects the length or strength of the cable and its signal. One thing they mention about HDMI is that it is known as a cable where either the signal is good, or it's bad, there is no in-between.

I doubt that you'll be happy with a 75 feet HDMI cable. That's past the practical length limit. Yes, I know that the HDMI spec does not specify a max cable length and you can probably find one to buy that is this long (I doubt it would work though). You're not going to find that 75 feet is practical without some hoop-jumping (amps, equalizers, extenders, repeaters, et.al.) 50 feet is really pushing it, and that's for a very high quality cable and components on either end that are "cooperative". I would stick with 25 feet or less. Preferably 15 feet or less. The best prices I've seen are at monoprice as others have mentioned. But don't go buying a 75 footer and expecting it to actually work.

The 75ft cables from monoprice (and others) seem to work OK for most people. Here's an article How Long Can HDMI Cable be Run? -- Blue Jeans Cable from bluejeanscable (another excellent supplier) talking about cable length issues. And here's their HDMI cable page HDMI Cables from Blue Jeans Cable

HDMI Cable Lengths

I would also check with the guys at Show Me Cables . com

They answer tyhe phone and can guide you with some advice. You may end up with a HDMI to Cat 5 device.

Thanks for the input everybody. I think I may go with component instead. But on monoprice they have rg6 and rg59 while most other places just have rg59. I know with coaxial cables you really should have rg6 but does that hold true for these?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts