HDMI Cables

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GOSTATE820

Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Ohio
Should I replace the HDMI cables that Directv gives through the install and replace them for some of the more expensive ones that are sold at like best buy, circuit city, ETC. Will I notice any picture difference?

Thanks

I've got a HR21-100 connected to a Mits 73" DLP RP and using the cable that came with the HR21 and I don't see any problems with it. What you'll notice with the higher priced cables is that your bank account balance is smaller.

Should I replace the HDMI cables that Directv gives through the install and replace them for some of the more expensive ones that are sold at like best buy, circuit city, ETC. Will I notice any picture difference?

Thanks

Nope, just keep the one you have.

You're going to find a trend on the "Monster Cable" people that want to sell you those cables... they are the only ones who think there is a difference.

Personally I sell them and I will tell you this... if you are under a 30 foot run with you HDMI cable it makes exactly 0 difference in picture quality. As far as durability the more expensive cable is far more durable, but unless you are unplugging or walking on your HDMI cable on a daily basis you seriously don't need any more durability. I only carry them because there are a lot of people out there with way too much money and not enough common sense that you can tell them 100 times that there is no difference and they will still insist on having the $80 Monster Cable "Just to be safe", which means a salesperson at HHGregg or Best Buy scared them into thinking a cheaper HDMI cable will kidnap their children and kill their stock portfolio.

Hope that helps!

Thanks

But, but, with High Density triple layer shielding, nitrogen injected dielectric and ultra high speed for only $99.95 for a 3ft cable, how can you go wrong! :D

Seriously, Keep what you have. If some day you have to replace it for whatever reason check someplace like Monoprice $4.11 for a 3ft cable.

....which means a salesperson at HHGregg or Best Buy scared them into thinking a cheaper HDMI cable will kidnap their children and kill their stock portfolio.Hope that helps!

This is true and possibly the funniest thing I've seen in a while, thanks :)

Bill

I have some Monster cables but only ones I got at extreme discount. I can see no difference between the cables I got from DirecTV, ones bought from one of the Internet suppliers, or Monster Cable. On the whole Monster is just way too expensive and not apparently any better.

People, like your all saying ....

HDMI is digital, which means it's 1's and 0's, thats all, if it starts at one end and makes it to the other end, it's good to go.
With digital it's there or it's not, no in between.

Only difference I've seen with HDMI cables is the quality of the connections., but like Spize said, you plug it in and leave it alone .... as long as the connection is a good one you good to go.
I have seen some that were junk, would not keep a connection ...

Jimbo

Last edited:
When I got my first HD box from Best Buy, they didn't come with HDMI cables. The salesman suggested a Monster cable at a monster price (>$100). I asked about alternatives and got another brand for "only" $60. I wish I had heard of monoprice at the time. I have bought several cables from them since then and the only downside is that their prices are so low that shipping is usually more than the product cost. The cables I have received from them have been top quality.

When I got my first HD box from Best Buy, they didn't come with HDMI cables. The salesman suggested a Monster cable at a monster price (>$100). I asked about alternatives and got another brand for "only" $60. I wish I had heard of monoprice at the time. I have bought several cables from them since then and the only downside is that their prices are so low that shipping is usually more than the product cost. The cables I have received from them have been top quality.

Another good brand that I have used often is "Tributaries", they are much cheaper than Monster and a name brand.

http://www.tributariescable.com/
Use the search to find a local store selling them.

Jimbo

using analog cable, you may get a slightly better picuture because high-end cables have better shielding against Radio Freqency Interferance
But HDMI is digital, you either have it or you dont so a $100 cable will not give any better picture then a $3 HDMI cable, unless your doing EXTREMELY long runs, in that case you may get some data loss.

As Jimbo pointed out I've never had a cable fail but I have had connectors fail and admittedly those couple of instances have been on the less expensive cables. Luckily they were component cables and relatively easy and inexpensive to replace. So far I've not had a HDMI cable/connector failure but I have the tendency to plug stuff in and let it be. My setups are pretty much permanently installed in AV cabinets so I don't mess with them often.

The short answer is, "Just use the cord you got." I've never been one to do side by side comparisons of cables, but I doubt there would be anything resembling a worthy difference between those and a Monster HDMI cable. And, you got this one from D* FREE.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts