HDMI connected, but nothing happens?

Bigfoot

Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Vermilion, Ohio
I've run a HDMI cable from my tv set to the 722k but I get nothing! no picture no sound. I have my tv set on hdmi mode. Is there some kind of change that needs to be made on the 722?

Make sure your box output is set to 1080I, and make sure your tv is set to the correct input. My tv has 2 hdmi inputs, make sure your tv is on the correct hdmi input.
if not of that works, maybe your hdmi cable is bad

Bigfoot --

A few months ago I had the same thing happen with a 622 receiver. The S-Vidio output and the 2nd tv via coax worked properly.

I jiggled the HDMI cable at the 622 connector and all was fine until a week later when when I had to do the same thing. This failure continued in ever shortening periods. When the failure became a daily occurrence I installed a new high quality HDMI cable. The next failure occured the following day but this time, cable jiggling and/or cable swapping did not solve the problem. I replaced the 622 with a 722.

Last night the 722 had a hdmi blackout, just like described above.

I called Dish today and told the tech (Brian D3F) the above story. He said this is a problem that exists on the list of known receiver problems. He is sending a replacement unit to me.

Give a call to tech svc and you should be able to have your 722 replaced for a $14.95 shipping charge.

-- Keep smiling Jack D

I had the same problem with my 622... DISH said it was a software update issue....

I hooked up the component output for a few weeks, then checked the HDMI output after I was certain a software update had been done, and the HDMI has worked fine since.

Well men, I called Dish and was told to reboot the receiver, after I had HDMI cables proberly installed and TV set to HDMI of course. I did that and all came up fine, Who knew?

I spent this weekend replacing all my component cables with HDMI cables. I held off using HDMI because of all the problems I've read about on the 622 that I have. Every thing runs through an AV receiver, tv works fine, DVD works great, 622 worked great for two days. Well at least the component still looks good. I'm going to wait for the 922 before I replace my 622 unless it dies. This is my second 622 in two years, Hope the 922's HDMI is more reliable.

HDMI provides the best HD picture-1080p,1080i and 720p. Component is only capable of 720p.

No it's not component will pass through 1080i( which is what most old rear projection TV are) and it will pass 1080p as well. The problem is there few if any sources that output 1080p via component.

Most people don't realize that HDMI's primary function is for HDCP. The selling point was one cable connection. Now manufacturers are designing just for HDMI.

While Component cables *can* pass 1080p, very, very few consumer devices output 1080p via component, and very, very few displays accept 1080p via component, so, for all intents and purposes, the effective limit of component as used by CE manufacturers is 1080/60i.

Also, at some point in the future, component connections are going to be locked down to SD resolution only. The Blu-Ray Disc Association got the content providers to agree not to implement the Image Constraint Token (ICT) on Blu-Rays until 2012, but content providers want to get rid of unencrypted HD outputs (read: analog component connections) as soon as possible. Upscaling DVD players alread do this: they will upscale via HDMI w/HDCP, but not over component.

I have a vizio SV42420XVT When i hook up the component cables every thing is great. no popping noise from the HDTV when i change a channel or when the picture frame changes. When i hook up with the Hdmi cable( i have used all 4 Hdmi inputs) i get a loud popping or cracking noise when i change the channels. I have had 4 Vip 612 receivers and the Repair guy(the same guy) has been out 2 times) he heard the popping noise and gave me at no charge a new Hdmi cable, its sitll pops. I can use the component cables but if i what to tape a show onto DVD i can't because the 612 doesn't have enough audio outputs. So here i am getting ready to call vizio again and see if i can get the Hdmi boards change out. The last time i did that the guy blew up my Hdtv. but vizio got me a new one in a weeks time. Not to bad. I also tryed yesterday a new power surge(one with a noise filtering on it for up to 60db, thinking maybe i was getting a spike from the outlet. Is there any electrical guys out here that can help me out on this one. I would think if i was getting a spike it would happen more often than once in a while because the pop doesn't happen every time i change a channel it happens a lot. the new $59. surge protector didn't help so i went back to my other one, and i am returning this Philips back to Walmart today. I have been doing a lot research on this problem and everyone on this site has been really good, just wished i could find out if the Receiver box or the HDtV is causing the problem. It seems i am the only one having this problem. That is why i thinking Maybe the Vizio Hdtv is the problem. If anyone has had the same problem and did get it fix please let me know my email is chicubsfan49@charter.net and oh ya this is the year LOL.

Occasionally, you'll have handshake issues (PS3 has it more than occasionally). If you aren't getting a picture and you are on the correct HDMI input, turn off your TV, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on. It will re-handshake with your receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts