HDMI distribution--what is DISH planning for the near future?

Jim Koenig

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
central minnesota
Can anyone tell me what might be on the near horizon for new DISH HDMI distribution options? I have central distribution of SD from my family room to all points where I need a TV signal. My home was built 23 years ago, I have lots of RG6 in the walls. Is DISH working on HDMI over coax? If they are, it would save me a huge amount of trouble. If not, how about HDMI over CAT 5/6? (Easier to pull than a HDMI cable.)

Also, is DISH working on a device to selectively route HDMI to the room where you need it? Right now, I use a patch panel in the basement to route my SD signal to the garage, basement locations, bedrooms, etc. A routable signal using a remote would be a huge jump into the 21st century.

There are a lot of boxes on the market now that send HDMI over cat6, usually 2 cat6 cables will carry the signal. HDMI distribution is available from 3rd parties. As to what Dish is planning for in house distribution has not been announced (asside from sling to a computer).

DISH better work on hd over coax and networking their receivers like Directv. The sling thing works in some homes but you have to have very good cable internet upload and download speeds. Teleco DSL is not sufficient for hd signals in most cases. Coax is already in the homes and it would be very similar to what they do today with the sd distribution over coax. This would be the easiest way to do whole house hd.

This would be nice, but there's already devices that do HDMI over Coax and Cat5 that could be used, so I don't see them investing much time in reinventing this wheel. Also unless Dish adds more HDMI outputs to their receivers it's a moot point anyway.

The only gee-wiz thing I'd love to see is a Sling App for devices like Sony BluRay Players, AppleTV, GoogleTV, etc, which would let you get access to your content in HD from any room in your house -- or I guess any room ANYWHERE given you had the bandwidth to stream HD contenet outside your home network.

Sam

Just bought the HDMI over CAT5e box from monoprice (always on backorder). Ran a dual run of 100-ft CAT5e thru my crawl space and used a wall plates that had both 2-CAT5e connectors and an RG6 connector. Works flawlessly. Spent about $60 for everything.

Ended up having to buy an UHF to IR converter though.. Stupid me forgot that TV1 was RF only...

This would be nice, but there's already devices that do HDMI over Coax and Cat5 that could be used, so I don't see them investing much time in reinventing this wheel. Also unless Dish adds more HDMI outputs to their receivers it's a moot point anyway.

The only gee-wiz thing I'd love to see is a Sling App for devices like Sony BluRay Players, AppleTV, GoogleTV, etc, which would let you get access to your content in HD from any room in your house -- or I guess any room ANYWHERE given you had the bandwidth to stream HD contenet outside your home network.

Sam

I think the gee whiz factor you speak of is now gone up in smoke ,just like the sling extender which has now been pulled from the website. I don't even see the sling version on the sling website anymore. Looks like that the very features that made the 922 so attractive have been pulled now. Don't know what DISH has in mind to replace this feature or to deliver full hd to other tvs in your house, other devices etc, but it isn't going to happen by sling route. That is too flaky and unreliable of a way to go for many subs.

Perhaps the best bet is via home network wiring, followed by wireless. I suggest if you're doing some wiring, run cat 6, or at least 5e. Standard is at least two drops per access point - I'd run four, in case a future Dish system uses two. You can always run lines now, and not the taps, until more is known. Or just wait until the smoke clears. Maybe that little show in January might tell us something..........

The cheapest and easiest way would be to just add an ATSC modulator to the receiver for TV2. You could use regular old coax to TV2. Problem solved. Unfortunately, it appears that the ignorant dipsh*ts in the content industry have a coronary when it's suggested because they're afraid someone might *gasp* RECORD something. Worthless idiots.

The program providers would've killed the DVR's had they put an ATSC mod in the units plus aw said they are very expensive right now. As far as the 5000 having one I doubt that since that was a long time ago.

Tyralak said:
Didn't the 5000 have one?

Yes, it did have an addon ATSC modulator until the program provides made dish quit selling it. If I remember correctly it sold for $299.00

Yes, it did have an addon ATSC modulator until the program provides made dish quit selling it. If I remember correctly it sold for $299.00
And the only reason it was that cheap is because the 6000 already had access to the compressed mpeg-2 transport stream. Current generation mpeg-4 receivers would require a transcoder producing mpeg-2 before modulation..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts