HDMI Handshake loss

voripteth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Aurora, IL
I've recently started to see a problem between my Hopper and my Sony SXRD set. I turn on the set and get no picture on the TV. After trying a number of things the reliable workaround I found is unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable on the back of the TV set. I think this means it's an HDMI handshake issue. This system has been working fine for years. Any ideas what is the cause of this new behavior?

Try turning off the hdmi-cec

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

HDMI-CEC is off. I've been re-seating the end connected to the TV which fortunately always works. I can try re-seating the end connected to the receiver but I'd be surprised if it makes a difference. It does seem to be getting worse as time goes on.

are you using the cheap-o dish hdmi cable that came with the hopper or is it a nicer aftermarket hdmi cable.

because those free hdmi that come with the box are garbage.

also did you try a different hdmi port because I have seen those go bad on peoples tv's.

I did try my other HDMI port on my TV which is how I discovered that merely re-plugging the cable fixes it. My understanding is that there is a handshake that happens when you plug in the cable. Unfortunately that same handshake seems to fail when the TV powers up.

I think I bought an aftermarket HDMI cable but since that was several years ago I'm not certain. Aren't HDMI cables like speaker wire? Companies try to sell you premium shielded versions but in reality nearly anything works since it has digital correction.

Yes and no. There is a definite value to the more expensive ones, but is that value worth it. One of the things I noticed is the more expensive ones, do not crack on the inside as easily or often. But, I have all my TVs and blu rays set up on dish hdmi cables, and have never had an issue.

I always use a brand called MediaBridge, you can get them at Amazon, they are reasonably priced and you can get really thin ones, have had many on several devices for two or three years, never a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)