HDMI handshake problem when going into the Media Player menu

DJ Rob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I just got my Micro HD. It is having an HDMI handshake problem using 1080p@60hz when going into the Media Player menu. The whole GUI flashes on and off every few seconds. 1080p@60hz works fine in all other menus and when tuning a channel. Setting it to other resolution does allow me to see the Media Player menu and play things. But I would love to have it work at 1080p. This is with a Samsung 1080p Plasma monitor.

UPDATE: It is starting to flicker watching any FTA stuff now at 1080p@60hz. And in the main menu.

Last edited:
I just got my Micro HD. It is having an HDMI handshake problem using 1080p@60hz when going into the Media Player menu. The whole GUI flashes on and off every few seconds. 1080p@60hz works fine in all other menus and when tuning a channel. Setting it to other resolution does allow me to see the Media Player menu and play things. But I would love to have it work at 1080p. This is with a Samsung 1080p Plasma monitor.

UPDATE: It is starting to flicker watching any FTA stuff now at 1080p@60hz. And in the main menu.

What version Firmware?
Factory Reset after the FW update? 1080p@30 / OK? 1080i@60 / OK? 720p@60 / OK?

Try a different HDMI cable?

I loaded the latest firmware you had posted here. 7/6. I did a factory reset afterwards. And then a power cycle.
I tried a different HDMI cable. And it was only happening in the 1080p 60hz mode.

I did just power cycle the unit again and I'm not seeing the flashing I was. So I'll run it through some paces tonight and I'll let you know if it happens again.

Well, it is still an issue. The flashing started getting worse again at 1080p60. I noticed it first when I would change satellites to far ends of the arc so that there wasn't a TV signal being decoded for a few seconds. I would hit exit once to get rid of the "moving dish" message, then I would notice the TV would show it wasn't getting any signal via the HDMI input. Then, when the dish hit the satellite I chose and I would get the channel, the TV would show it was getting an HDMI signal again. It's like the video output goes out for a bit and then comes back on... or loses sync. Then after an hour or so of keeping it on the same channel, I would start getting flashes where the TV would lose HDMI signal for a brief second and then it would come back. It would start happening more and more. I tried other channels and it would do the same thing. Then the GUI in the Media Player mode wouldn't show much at all like before. Once I change the MicroHD to 1080i, it all works fine again. My monitor is a Samsung PN50A650. It's about 3 years old I think. It displays 1080p from my Directv boxes and WDTV Live just fine.

If possible, connect to another monitor in the 1080p_60 mode to determine if the issue is with the monitor or the microHD. No issues with 1080p_60 on a Samsung 42 LCD, Samsung 52 plasma, Vizio 47 LCD and Samsung 22 LED.

We have noticed handshake problems using certain HDMI cables. Swapping cables resolved.

This does sound like an HDMI cable issue.
I had some issues in the past but when I upgraded all my HDMI cables to the better ones
High Speed HDMI cables with ethernet I no longer had any handshake problems with any of the different receivers I tested out here.
To find some at a decent price check out "monoprice" online, as they do have whatever you will need there at very reasonable costs.

I bought some newer HDMI cables from monoprice too....real fast and nice prices
sure the cables are blue but I dont care :)

All of the ones I have here are from Monoprice and are only about a year old. But they were the cheapest 6ft. ones I could get. I've been busy with some stuff that has to do with the shootings here, so haven't had time to try it again. I'm going to try a brand new cable from one of the big box stores late tonight. Since I'm the only one having the issue, it does sound like the cables.

I swapped the cable with a thicker one from a big box store here. So far I'm not seeing any of the issues I saw before. Sorry for the false alarm! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)