HDMI Handshake

kg4ozx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Alabama
Ok, I've had E* for probably 6 months now with my ViP622. I've had it connected the entire time with Component, which looks fantastic on my 50" Toshiba DLP TV (720p only... but still looks great).

With all the talk about HDCP, i've been wanting to move to HDMI. The problem is, the TV doesn't seem to recognize the receiver. The 622 shows information in the HDMI menu that seems to match my TV. (Shows that it is 720P, etc). I have tried resetting the HDMI through the receiver, I have plugged/unplugged several times in various states of equipment being on/off and I have tried all 3 HDMI ports on the TV.

The HDMI output of the 622 works on my 19" cheap Polaroid tv (I moved from the bedroom to try it out).

So my question, is that a Toshiba problem or an E* problem?

just verify your hdmi is working using something else hd dvd blu ray xbox etc then you know for sure

That's the problem... my 622 is the only HDMI output I have in the house. I don't even know anyone with a PS3, XBox360 or HD-DVD/BD player that I could borrow from to test.

Maybe this is where I make the argument to the wife that I NEED that PS3...

Well, here is a solution, go buy a PS3, and if it doesnt' work for your tv you have a legitimate reason to return it. If it does, you have a legitimate reason to keep it.

No handshake with a non-HDCP DVI output like from a PC.

And most PC's have DVI-A outputs, which can't be adapted to HDMI anyway.

Pardon me ! Your are out of base ! I would recommend you stop at Fry's for start and READ what on those boxes with video cards written if you can't research thru Internet.

Check nVidia 8500/8600 and other current models.

My wife is far too smart for that trick. nice try though! :) I"ll break down and buy something HDMI soon so I can determine what I need to do.
You can buy an inexpensive "upconvert" DVD player with HDMI. I just bought one that works geat for less than $40. Dumb question though--Are you SURE something isn't set up properly for HDMI on you TV? One more REALLY dumb one--You ARE using the HDMI input on the TV, right? Told ya they were dumb.:rolleyes: Just seems very strange to me that the 622's HDMI works with your other test TV.:confused:

Ed

You can buy an inexpensive "upconvert" DVD player with HDMI. I just bought one that works geat for less than $40. Dumb question though--Are you SURE something isn't set up properly for HDMI on you TV? One more REALLY dumb one--You ARE using the HDMI input on the TV, right? Told ya they were dumb.:rolleyes: Just seems very strange to me that the 622's HDMI works with your other test TV.:confused:

Ed

Well, i'm about 99% sure that things are set up correctly for my HDMI on the TV... i'm unaware of any additional setup required (i've read the manual... nothing indicated there).

Yes, i'm using the HDMI input(s) on the TV. I've tried them all (Total of 3). I've even tried making sure that HDMI 1 is really HDMI 1 on the menu. No luck on any of it.

Where did you pick up that DVD player?

I bought one lapplegate suggested from Walmart. Phillips DVP3960/37. I bought it from their website with free shipping to the store for $39.86. I could've just bought it from the store for $44.xx but I'm cheap, lol. Works great and DOES make the pq comparable to HD.
Sorry about your HDMI problem. :confused: Good luck!

Ed

I bought the Phillips upconvert DVD Player earlier today in hopes that the HDMI would magically work. No such luck.

I've called Toshiba and gone through their troubleshooting steps with no luck. They have referred me to a warranty service center. Hopefully I can get this thing fixed soon!

Thanks for all your help!

I have the same trouble with my Dish HD receiver not working with my TV through the HDMI port. I bought a Toshiba HD DVD player and the player's HDMI port works spectacularly with my setup so I know its not my TV.

I finally called DISH and spoke with a very nice, apparently very reliable tech. He told me Dish has had HDMI problems for years with ALL of its Dish receivers. He said it was an ongoing problem and upgrading to their newest receiver would not help. He also said they've gotten a lot of calls about this. He recommended I use the component ports.

Not exactly reassuring with all this talk of HDCP.

Bruce

As for DVD upconvert players, I strongly recommend the Helios which supplies an amazing 1080i picture and is the only unconvert player in the world right now that you can use with component ports.

Bruce

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)