HDMI Input and SONY DVD - Help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Hello, I hope I am posting this in the right place, but I have a question that I am hoping someone might have an answer for.

I have a SONY KD-34XBR970 34" HDTV with HDMI input. I have a Dish vip622 Receiver, and a SONY DVP-NS75H HDMI Upconvert DVD Player (which just replaced a Samsung 950 upconvert dvd player).

The TV only has one HDMI input, so I bought a Genfen HDMI switcher. I connected the dish receiver and the dvd through the genfen switcher, which was fed to the tv's hdmi input.

This scenario worked out perfectly with the old Samsung. Until yesterday morning, when I hit the switch to activate the DVD's HDMI feed, turned on the DVD and got nothing but a flickering blue screen. I could only get the DVD to work through its component output, but even then it would not remember that it was set for component/hdmi and kept going back to composite. I decided to connect the HDMI directly to the DVD from the tv, to see if the switcher had gone bad. It still did the same thing; I used the same cable and connected it to the dish 622 directly; it worked fine, as it has for the three week's I have owned it). I swapped out a HDMI cable to see if there was some weird problem. Nothing.

Ultimately, I brought the Samsung back to the store, concluding that the HDMI input on it had blown. So, I came home with the SONY DVP-NS75H. I plugged it into the HDMI, and got nothing. I plugged in the Component video, and it worked fine. I checked the settings, made sure it was set for HDMI, and everything appeared to be correct.

I swapped out two different HDMI cables; completely eliminated the switcher for the time-being, and have not been able to get the HDMI light on the SONY to come on, or to get it to work at all. Part of me thinks I had the bad luck of buying a defective player; but part of me thinks the coincidence of two in a row having a similar problem is strange, particularly since the tv works perfectly when connected to the dish vip622.

Before I package the dvd and send it back, I figured I would try the forum to see if anyone had any suggestions.

SO... help!!!

Mike

Been a while since you posted this, but I just took note of it since I'm having issues with my 622 and HDMI (not the same problem).

Is it possible that your switcher is causing problems with the DVD players' HDMI outputs? Since you apparently plugged the new Sony DVD unit into that switcher before checking its HDMI output directly to the TV, that might be the problem...?

Thanks for your reply; but the first thing I did was eliminate the switcher to make sure that it was not the source of the problem. I connected directly from the DVD player to the TV via HDMI, and it made no difference whatsoever.

To be honest, I basically just gave up on it for the time-being; the component video connections provide what I think is an excellent picture compared with the same connection on my other (Philips Divx) player. So, I am not convinced that the HDMI is required for 1080i upconvert; because the picture I am getting is excellent.

What I really need to do is try the DVD player's HDMI output with another HDMI source, but since I only have one HDTV, it will have to wait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)