HDMI Issues (622 and Sony XBR4 LCD)...

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
Well, I think I may have read it several times on this thread, but I need to ask this question to pinpoint the issue exactly:

For a couple of years, I've been using the ViP-622 using the component outputs in 1080i mode (my TV only supports 1080i and does not have a digital input).

However, I just bought a new 52" Sony XBR4 and it has HDMI inputs. So, I bought my HDMI cables and attempted to hook the 622 up to my surround sound receiver. The receiver did not recognize the 622. So, I completely bypassed the receiver and went directly to the TV.

ViP-622 HDMI output -----------> Sony XBR4 HDMI input 1

The Sony did not recognize the 622 and I only got a black screen as though nothing was even hooked up.

I called Dish Network technical support (yes, it was tech support and not just a CSR). They walked me though everything that I had already tried and it was a no-go for launch.

Here are my questions:
  • All of the reports I've seen on these boards are a bit confusing to me. Is the 622 famous for having faulty HDMI ports (hardware related) OR have people just been having handshake issues due to HDMI software versions? I've also heard reports of "my HDMI worked just fine before, but now it doesn't work." Is that just a case of Dish Network releasing a firmware update that changed the HDMI software and caused handshake issues? If it's harware related, would I need to get E* to replace it and, if so, can I use the external USB hard drive feature to keep my recordings?
  • Can you confirm that the component output and the HDMI output on the 622 are "hot" at the same time? There is no menu option for turning on the HDMI port is there?
  • Is there anything else you all can think of that might be causing the issue? Please note that I tried a couple of different HDMI cables and the cables that I tried DO work for other items in my theater (PS3).
  • Are there any other Sony XBR4 users out there that have successfully received a signal from their 622 using HDMI?

Thanks,

Yes, both component and HDMI are active simulataneously.

If both your receiver and your TV have problems, it's either a bad cable, or it's a problem with the Dish receiver.

Jeff

There is no menu option for turning on the HDMI port is there?

I'm sure you already checked this, but do you need to activate the HDMI port on your Sony's setup menu? I have a Pioneer and you have to tell it to activate the HDMI port in one of the setup menus.

The HDMI ports are garbage. Call Dish, add DHPP if you don't already have it, tell them you have a black/blue/snowy screen, they will send a tech out to replace it.

The HDMI ports are garbage. Call Dish, add DHPP if you don't already have it, tell them you have a black/blue/snowy screen, they will send a tech out to replace it.

So you're saying that it's the actual hardware port and not the firmware and software handshake?

I don't know what you keep referring to as a handshake but what I'm saying is you need a new receiver

Well, I can tell you that there are a lot of issues with HDMI right now (on the software/firmware side). That basically means that the hardware is good, but my TV doesn't "recognize" the receiver because of incompatibilities. If it's the software/firmware, I could get all the 622s in the world, but none of them would work. However, if it's faulty hardware, then a new receiver would work.

If I'm going to go through the trouble of getting Dish Network to swap out my receiver, I want to make sure I don't lose any of my recordings. If I move all of my recordings to an external hard drive, when I get the new receiver, can't I view the content on the external hard drive. In other words, is the external hard drive married to a specific receiver or is it married to a specific account?

I know there used to be software problems that had something to do with the HDMI port, but with the current software there are no issues that I know of. All the 622's and 722's that I've installed in as long as I can remember the HDMI connection worked without any settings being changed on the TV. If other components are working with your TV's HDMI port, using the same cable as you're using with your 622, that tells me the receiver is bad.

As for the recordings, I can't answer that because I have never used an external HDD, but I do recall others saying it works.

Yes some dish receivers do NOT work with some TV hdmi ports. I have had several that would work with other components but was a NO go with TV especially the Sony XBR4 LCD 42" that was bought from DOW electronics, a Dish distributor.
So contrary to what others may say there are still some issues with Dish receivers. Dish will NOT admit it, but they are there.

Well, I think I may have read it several times on this thread, but I need to ask this question to pinpoint the issue exactly:

For a couple of years, I've been using the ViP-622 using the component outputs in 1080i mode (my TV only supports 1080i and does not have a digital input).

However, I just bought a new 52" Sony XBR4 and it has HDMI inputs. So, I bought my HDMI cables and attempted to hook the 622 up to my surround sound receiver. The receiver did not recognize the 622. So, I completely bypassed the receiver and went directly to the TV.

ViP-622 HDMI output -----------> Sony XBR4 HDMI input 1

The Sony did not recognize the 622 and I only got a black screen as though nothing was even hooked up.

I called Dish Network technical support (yes, it was tech support and not just a CSR). They walked me though everything that I had already tried and it was a no-go for launch.

Here are my questions:
  • All of the reports I've seen on these boards are a bit confusing to me. Is the 622 famous for having faulty HDMI ports (hardware related) OR have people just been having handshake issues due to HDMI software versions? I've also heard reports of "my HDMI worked just fine before, but now it doesn't work." Is that just a case of Dish Network releasing a firmware update that changed the HDMI software and caused handshake issues? If it's harware related, would I need to get E* to replace it and, if so, can I use the external USB hard drive feature to keep my recordings?
  • Can you confirm that the component output and the HDMI output on the 622 are "hot" at the same time? There is no menu option for turning on the HDMI port is there?
  • Is there anything else you all can think of that might be causing the issue? Please note that I tried a couple of different HDMI cables and the cables that I tried DO work for other items in my theater (PS3).
  • Are there any other Sony XBR4 users out there that have successfully received a signal from their 622 using HDMI?

Thanks,

I have a Sony XBR2 and you have to go to the external settings screen 1st. Make sure the HTMI jack you want to use is on- then assign it to CBL/Dish. If your inputs aren't turned on you won't get a picture. Also, call Sony tech support. They have been very helpful to me in the past.

Regarding the surround amp- I have a Yamaha that doesn't have any jacks for an HTMI cable so I use the optical cable from the 722 to the amp. I have been told that optical gives better sound than an HTMI cable. I do know that my 7.1 system never sounded better using the optical cable. I don't know about a 622, but I hope this helps.

I'm personally running my 622 through a slingbox, into my Yamaha receiver, and in to the tv. I'm also running my 360 and an upconverting DVD player all through the receiver and then the 1 cable to the TV. Either your receiver is not enabled right, or you have a faulty 622. The receiver acts as a pass through, or can even upconvert. DISH CSR's aren't going to have much information on how to fix this since they only care about from their box to the tv. Likewise with Sony, and anyone else. Troubleshooting steps always begin in reverse TV-Stereo-SAT-Antenna-Sattelite

Thanks everyone.

The thing is, I even took the surround sound receiver out of the equation. I went straight from the 622 to the TV. The TV didn't recognize the 622. I'm pretty sure, by reading the comments above, that it's a bad HDMI port on the 622. I am planning to have E* come out and add a 722 anyway. I'll just move the 622 back to my old component input TV only.

Thanks again for everybody's replies.

I have a Sony XBR2 and you have to go to the external settings screen 1st. Make sure the HTMI jack you want to use is on- then assign it to CBL/Dish. If your inputs aren't turned on you won't get a picture. Also, call Sony tech support. They have been very helpful to me in the past.

ChetK,

Did you try this before requesting a replacement? If not, you could end up w/ a replacement that does the same thing...

ChetK,

Did you try this before requesting a replacement? If not, you could end up w/ a replacement that does the same thing...

On the XBR4 there is no such menu (that I'm aware of). It's simply HDMI 1 input. Everything else that I plug into that input works fine (without having to activate anything). Why would I need to tell the TV what type of item I'm connecting? I suspect that's just so you can see a Sat/Cable icon in the GIU on Walker1's XBR2.

Also, I contact Claude at DishStore.net and he confirmed that lots of the 622s have FAULTY HDMI ports.

ChetK - Echo that on the 622 faulty HDMI ports! Here's an older thread for your reading pleasure - dates back to the early days of the problem. Many were affected including me.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/65138-622-lost-hdmi-output.html

I have my replacement 622 running into my 40" XBR1 via HDMI with no problem, and I have my 211 running into my 52" XBR2 via HDMI also with no problem. I seriously doubt there are any handshake problems with the Sonys. In all probability you have a 622 with one or more factured connections on the PCB where the HDMI socket is soldered on. That problem could have been there from the get go and you are only noticing it now once you tried the HDMI connection.

Do indeed check your setting first (sounds like you have) then call E* for a replacement.

Good luck with it...

ChetK - Echo that on the 622 faulty HDMI ports! Here's an older thread for your reading pleasure - dates back to the early days of the problem. Many were affected including me.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/65138-622-lost-hdmi-output.html

I have my replacement 622 running into my 40" XBR1 via HDMI with no problem, and I have my 211 running into my 52" XBR2 via HDMI also with no problem. I seriously doubt there are any handshake problems with the Sonys. In all probability you have a 622 with one or more factured connections on the PCB where the HDMI socket is soldered on. That problem could have been there from the get go and you are only noticing it now once you tried the HDMI connection.

Do indeed check your setting first (sounds like you have) then call E* for a replacement.

Good luck with it...

Thanks for the confirmation and the well wishes bhelms.

I am waiting until Feb. 1 because there's supposed to be a promotion for current customers. I think I'm going to get a 722 and get the 622 replaced at the same time.

I just might do that myself! My 622 is owned vs. leased. I wonder if there will be any attractive incentives for an owner? I have no real reason to upgrade other than the fact that my HDD is maxed out. The 622 I currently have is performing well, but the drive does have about 15K hours on it at this point.

(Seems to me when the offer was first out there for 942 owners/lesees to upgrade to the 622, the owners got royally screwed!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)