HDMI on 622

Jeff_R

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA
Hello all -

I recently upgraded my HDTV to a plasma panel, and used the occasion to switch from component cables to HDMI. While using a lower grade HDMI cable, all was well. Then, within a matter of minutes of getting my display mounted and using a newer, higher grade HDMI cable, all of a sudden the HDMI input quit working.

I know it's been discussed here before the poor quality of the HDMI inputs on the 622, but this was rediculous. Before I pull out the 622 and call to have it swapped out, do the newer units have any better luck with the HDMI input? My AV Reciever is using the new cables just fine, as is the plasma panel. It's just the 622 that seems to have a problem.

Thanks for any input!

Jeff

There could be some change with the new units that improves the HDMI port reliability but I doubt it. It seems to me that the primary issue is the strain between the PCB and the chassis that is borne by the 19 tiny HDMI connections. Any force on the socket and/or temp. cycling has potential to cause a fracture. Consider too that a replacement unit is likely to be a refurbished older unit anyway, but that said I would still go for the replacement. Make sure the HDMI works, then like Jim5506 said => "Don't break it!" Handle with care, offload any cable weight from the HDMI plug, make sure the plug can't wiggle, and make sure the unit has plenty of ventilation...

I use HDMI cable with my 622 to the LCD and I haven't had any problem. I think it looks great compared to using coax cable. I have never used the component output so dont know how it is.

Yeah, it is really hit and miss. I have 2 using HDMI and one of my buddies just got one also using HDMI. No problems at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)