HDMI or component

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Oft debated/discussed. Many say it varies with TV model/size but can be made to look equal if you work the TV settings. Many say HDMI looks better. I think some say they like the look with the component cables. Almost all say try both and use whichever looks best to you. The cables aren't so expensive that you shouldn't try this. Shop online for a good price. You don't need to buy the expensive HDMI ones to get good results. It's one and zeros. Quality may be more of an issue with component cables.

Which camp am I? Definitely the HDMI (actually DVI for me) looks noticeably sharper and the contrast/brightness is just right. Component looked slightly fuzzy and too dark and had higher contrast.

I have a 50" DLP, 720p.

I've tried both also and I have to say HDMI is the way to go. I have a Samsung 40" 1080p LCD. It wasn't a big difference until you got up close.

Not to start an argument, but my experience tells me you can't spot which is which unless you know in advance. Either will work just fine.

I feed component to my AVR, then convert it to HDMI to the plasma. I use the actual HDMI to feed the small slave set in the nearby kitchen.

Both look great; yours will too.

Oh, and I do agree about buying less expensive cables. I suggest you shop at monoprice.com if you are looking.

HDMI first RGB/component as plan (B)

On some devices HDMI have problems.

Matt

Last edited:
Not to start an argument, but my experience tells me you can't spot which is which unless you know in advance. Either will work just fine.

I feed component to my AVR, then convert it to HDMI to the plasma. I use the actual HDMI to feed the small slave set in the nearby kitchen.

Both look great; yours will too.

Oh, and I do agree about buying less expensive cables. I suggest you shop at monoprice.com if you are looking.

+1

Thank you all for your input, another question I have is that I dont have the fancy sets that some of you have. My set is a Sony 32 inch HD trinitron CRT modeL (tube) will the HDMI make a difference. Thanks again

Probably not. Like the others have said, there is very little difference to begin with, and the smaller the screen, the less likely you will be to notice it. Keep in mind too that component cables can carry the signal farther without degradation. About 20 ft. for HDMI compared to about 200 ft. for component.

I am thinking off getting HDMI cable, is there a major difference with the pq?

Two advantages to HDMI:

1. It's a 1 cable solution, both pic and sound go through 1 cable.

2. It's digital all the way.

I'd ditto what others have said about monoprice, they have good quality cables at very reasonable prices.

Probably not. Like the others have said, there is very little difference to begin with, and the smaller the screen, the less likely you will be to notice it. Keep in mind too that component cables can carry the signal farther without degradation. About 20 ft. for HDMI compared to about 200 ft. for component.

I have no problem pushing HDMI 50 feet to the slave monitor I mentioned earlier, through a monoprice cable. I wouldn't try 200 feet, though.:)

Just wanted to add my 2 cents..HDMI/DVI is a pure digital path...component is analog to digital. The other advantage to HDMI is audio..audio/video passes through 1 cable. :)

Just had the HD DVR installed on my Samsung DLP and a standard HD box on a Westinghouse tv. The HDMI did not work on the Westinghouse and the installer, who has been in this business for 13 years, stated that they have a lot of problems with the HDMI cables not working. Both HDMI and Component look good so to me it does not matter.

By the way the HDMI cables came free with my installation, which was also free, so no need to wast $100 bucks. Also the installer told me not to upgrade the receiver in my sytem. Would be a waste of money since the HDMI is routed directly to the tv and an optical sound cable carries the sound to the receiver and I enjoy the surround sound. Was considering spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade to a new receiver for HDMI input. You bet I tipped the installer and offered a soda and water.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts