HDMI or COMPONENT?

vismich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
So, I made the switch from DirecTV to Dish Network after being a 6 year customer of DirecTV. The main reason I switched was Customer service and DirecTV claims they couldnt get a signial for HD.

Anyway, I'm all set up...They used two dishes...and I am going to parley this into two questions.

ONE. Is the HDMI cable better than Component cables? I know it is on paper...But am I going to notice the diffrence other than my wallet being lighter?

TWO. The guy had to set one of the dishes on a pole, and he put it in the wrong spot....It needs to be moved about 3 feet bacward for no other reason than it is more hidden that way. It still has a perfect line if I move it.

That said, I am planning on moving it myself....How difficult will it be for me to move and lock back onto the sattelite?

vismich said:
So, I made the switch from DirecTV to Dish Network after being a 6 year customer of DirecTV. The main reason I switched was Customer service and DirecTV claims they couldnt get a signial for HD.

Anyway, I'm all set up...They used two dishes...and I am going to parley this into two questions.

ONE. Is the HDMI cable better than Component cables? I know it is on paper...But am I going to notice the diffrence other than my wallet being lighter?

TWO. The guy had to set one of the dishes on a pole, and he put it in the wrong spot....It needs to be moved about 3 feet bacward for no other reason than it is more hidden that way. It still has a perfect line if I move it.

That said, I am planning on moving it myself....How difficult will it be for me to move and lock back onto the sattelite?

One: it a slight difference.

Two: If it working right now why would you want to move it? Just because you think it's will work doesn't mean it will.

There will likely some discernable difference in the PQ between HDMI and component connections, but you might actually prefer the component PQ - quite a few folks do! Which you prefer might even vary with program content. I connected both and will sometimes swap, but I usually watch the digital connection (sharper detail) vs. the analog (more color saturation). These results are with my current TV and its settings and they could be varied if I take the time to play with the various settings.

You don't need to lighten your wallet much if you buy your cables on-line, like from www.monoprice.com...

1) What kind of TV do you have ?? Projection, plasma, LCD ?? In the end, it's your eyes that will make the determination. As you say, on paper, HDMI is "better". If your eyes can't see the difference, is it really better ??

2) Shouldn't be hard... Dig a new hole and put it in but do NOT re-fill it with dirt, cement, etc, yet. You'll likely need to turn it a small amount to get it back in the right direction. Problem you'll run into is your TV likely isn't near the pole so you won't be able to see or hear the "Align dish" screen. There's also a delay in acquiring the signal such that with two people, you moving the dish and someone else yelling "nope", you'll turn the dish, ask "anything ?", they'll say "no", and you'll move it again. You need to move it and wait ... 5-10 seconds to be safe ?? What I did years ago was drag a 20" TV (and receiver) into my backyard.

A related question:

What is the difference between HDMI and HMDI DVI? Should I have bought a HMDI DVI cable instead of just HDMI?

dvi is a different connection, if your tv has hdmi use straight hdmi to hdmi; picture will be the same as component but its neater as it carries the audio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts