HDMI over cat 5

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I currently have 2 hws, with one feeding another tv via component over cat. Works great.
However, I am thinking of upgrading to H3 for 4K programming, youtube, etc.
component via cat 5 this is what I am presently using.
Is there anything similar for HDMI? Everything that I have found thus far must be powered.
Another problem would be if I chose to use a joey in place of a 2nd H3. The joey's do not have component out.
So, I assume that I would have to split the hdmi signal to both the 4k tv & the 1080 tv.
My final concern is would the signal to the 4k tv be 4k or limited to 1080 due to the 2nd tv?

I currently have 2 hws, with one feeding another tv via component over cat. Works great.
However, I am thinking of upgrading to H3 for 4K programming, youtube, etc.
component via cat 5 this is what I am presently using.
Is there anything similar for HDMI? Everything that I have found thus far must be powered.
Another problem would be if I chose to use a joey in place of a 2nd H3. The joey's do not have component out.
So, I assume that I would have to split the hdmi signal to both the 4k tv & the 1080 tv.
My final concern is would the signal to the 4k tv be 4k or limited to 1080 due to the 2nd tv?
The Joey will only output 1080 anyways. But yes any hdmi over cat will be powered because hdmi is a digital signal versus the component that is analog and is nothing but conductor and shield for each port. Another solution is to also just add an additional Joey at the other TV. It's $7 more a month but you have ability to change channel seperate now and have it's own dedicated remote and can adjust screen settings specific to that tv.

The Joey will only output 1080 anyways. But yes any hdmi over cat will be powered because hdmi is a digital signal versus the component that is analog and is nothing but conductor and shield for each port. Another solution is to also just add an additional Joey at the other TV. It's $7 more a month but you have ability to change channel seperate now and have it's own dedicated remote and can adjust screen settings specific to that tv.
so even a joey4 will only output 1080? What if Dish started broadcasting 4k programing, would it still only output 1080?
What if I replaced both HWS with H3's and used the same setup as I currently do? Would the component output still be 1080 even if the hdmi output was 4K?

Reactions: charlesrshell
so even a joey4 will only output 1080? What if Dish started broadcasting 4k programing, would it still only output 1080?
What if I replaced both HWS with H3's and used the same setup as I currently do? Would the component output still be 1080 even if the hdmi output was 4K?
You have to be HDMI to get 4K.

A joey4 will do 4k over hdmi. But you never mentioned joey4 or hopper plus so just assumed joey3.

If you get a joey4 you can split the hdmi and the second TV might still work on the hdmi. It might just accept the signal and downscale it or it might work when you're watching 1080 content but go black when watching 4k content.

But I've mentioned in another one of your threads that you can put the new hopper3 in the bedroom so you can still use your component output. Then put a Joey in the living room. However this wont work if you do add the hopper plus as the hopper plus only has hdmi. But something to think about

A joey4 will do 4k over hdmi. But you never mentioned joey4 or hopper plus so just assumed joey3.

If you get a joey4 you can split the hdmi and the second TV might still work on the hdmi. It might just accept the signal and downscale it or it might work when you're watching 1080 content but go black when watching 4k content.

But I've mentioned in another one of your threads that you can put the new hopper3 in the bedroom so you can still use your component output. Then put a Joey in the living room. However this wont work if you do add the hopper plus as the hopper plus only has hdmi. But something to think about
That would be fine if the joey4 had caller ID. We like the fact that the hws displays incoming phone calls. Even my old wireless joey displays caller ID. Disappointing that a supposed step up in technology takes a step back in usefulness.

That would be fine if the joey4 had caller ID. We like the fact that the hws displays incoming phone calls. Even my old wireless joey displays caller ID. Disappointing that a supposed step up in technology takes a step back in usefulness.
It's not necessarily a step back. It reduces cost and size. And personal land lines are outdated tech. I understand some ppl still need them but it's so few compared to the people that don't that it's a non factor.

There isn’t much 4k content being broadcast. Seems like a lot of hassle to make these changes for minimal benefit. I’d stick with your two HWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There isn’t much 4k content being broadcast. Seems like a lot of hassle to make these changes for minimal benefit. I’d stick with your two HWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree and think that is what I will do.
Trouble is there is a problem with 1 of the hws loosing the internet connection every day

I have tried that before. I have 2 wireless Joey's. Each is linked to a separate hws. When I turn bridging off on 1, there is no access to the both hws recordings.
Sounds like one of the two HWS is having trouble communicating with the other one on the MoCA network (the one that runs over coax and meets outside). It could be anything from the Duo Hub to the coax or even the MoCA transceivers in the units themselves.

Since you don’t have wired Joeys, you can try disabling bridging on both HWS’s and making sure they can both connect to the internet separately, be it through WiFi or preferably Ethernet. This way one won’t be relying on the other for internet connectivity. Only disadvantage is that any communications between the Hoppers like recordings will happen over your own network, which may or may not be up to snuff.