HDMI switcher

Sammy033

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Yup its Christmas time!

At the moment my 622 is the only HDMI device I have. However in the future there will at the very least also be a bluray and, who knows, xbox. My TV has only one input however therefore a switch seems to be a good idea. Does a 622/722 have problems with switchers? I have heard directv boxes occationally do.

Thx.

As of now, you could use component from the 622, freeing up the HDMI. And no, you will not lose any PQ. Sometime down the line, Dish and every other provider may have to adhere to the studio's DRM demands, which would prevent HD from coming through component. Then you would need a switch, if and when.

Perhaps there will be some really good deals on receivers since cash is an issue these days of course. Amazon has an Onkyo for $200. Its more than I wanted to pay to simply switch between devices but I suppose considering the money that would go into a bluray and video console (and who knows what else) $200 isnt much. Monoprice seems to have some good things and pretty big discounts right now.

Yup its Christmas time!

At the moment my 622 is the only HDMI device I have. However in the future there will at the very least also be a bluray and, who knows, xbox. My TV has only one input however therefore a switch seems to be a good idea. Does a 622/722 have problems with switchers? I have heard directv boxes occationally do.

Thx.

I own three
"ALURATEK 4-PORT HDMI VIDEO SWITCH WITH REMOTE CONTROL" units purchased from Amazon partner Computer Brain. I have two on one HDTV, with an Xbox 360 (and the external HD-DVD drive), DVD recorder, DirecTV HD-DVR, FIOS (HD)DVR, Bluray player, and a 400 disc Sony DVD changer, and I have had no problems. On my other HDTV I have a FIOS (HD)DVR, PS3, stand alone HD-DVD player, DirecTV HD-DVR, and a DVD recorder, and I have had no problems. I also had Dish's 622 HD DVR last year, before I got DirecTV and FIOS TV and never had a problem with it. I never had a problem using the Bright House Networks cable HD-DVR with the switchbox either.

I guess if you want to call it a problem you could consider that two or three times when I have switched to the FIOS DVR it has appeared scrambled and I have had to change to another HDMI input and back again on the switchbox. This only happened when I changed to the FIOS input, not during viewing. And it only happend two or three times. I have had no other problems to speak of.

Just go to Amazon and search for it. Do the cheap shipping because you will STILL get it fast with the Computer Brain seller. I ordered two units last year and one two weeks ago. It is cheaper than other models and works WONDERFULLY.

My advice to anyone considering a purchase of an HDMI switch: save the money toward a new A/V receiver with HDMI switching capability.

See this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/v-recei...155960-hdmi-switch-questions.html#post1603706

Two considerations.....

1- I have SIX HDMI devices on one of my HDTVs. Show me an HDMI receiver with SIX HDMI inputs for under $500 or even $750. Any of them with that many inputs are usually the high end models. I paid less than $150 for two 4 port switchboxes for that one TV (see my other response, I own three of the switchboxes).

2- Many receivers with HDMI inputs don't take the audio from the HDMI. They only take it from the analog, digital, or optical inputs. This can be a problem. I have a Sony receiver that doesn't take the audio, it just passes the HDMI video signal through to the TV. You have to make sure that it is actually accepting both the video and audio.

A combination of a cheaper receiver and HDMI switchboxes would make more financial sense for most.

If you have a lot of money to spend ($1000+) on a good receiver, by all means buy a receiver with enough inputs, but I'll save my $$$ for some cool bluray discs or other goodies.

I have seen where the boxes have problems going thru receivers alot more than switches. Check out www.partsexpress.com. They have great equipment and cables at good prices. I use one from them with a 50 ft hdmi cable to feed my plasma on the wall and no problems.

I have a Monoprice 5/1 switcher feeding a 60" Sony and a 42" Vizio. Sometimes when I switch to my PS3 the audio doesn't follow so i have to recycle through the 5 inputs and then the audio works fine. A bit of an hassle but once working the video and audio quality are good.

monoprice.com. Countless satisfied customers using their HDMI switchers and at very reasonable prices. Monoprice is a major OEM supplier. They make good quality products at prices big companies like, and consumers can afford.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)