HDMI to DVI or Component Video?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sobonefnet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
PA
I recently upgraded to a 622. My TV does no have HDMI. But, It does have DVI. Which is better to use? HDMI to DVI or just use component? Thanks

Try both and use whichever you prefer. You might find that which is better varies with the channel and/or program content as well. I have both HDMI and component connected and do swap occassionally, but generally I use the digital connection. I find it to be sharper, but the color saturation seems better on component in my system, YMMV. I have yet to spend time with the "color pallette" system in my TV to see if I can improve the digital connection colors, however.

One suggestion - if you're using a HDMI/DVI adapter at the 622's end, make sure you support it so it's not putting any extra weight on the HDMI socket; that's a suspected reason for many HDMI output failures.

Where in PA...?

You may like the HDMI/DVI better. In my opinion it is worth the 20 bucks to see what looks best to you. Since you have an HD setup I'm sure you have already spent a bunch of money on your setup what is another $20? But if component looks good to you, that's cool too.

I have the same setup as you, I have a TV with only DVI.

On mine, I tried both the component and a HDMI to DVI cable. I ended up with the HDMI to DVI. Both looked excellent, but the dynamic range on the HDMI/DVI cable was better than component.

What does this mean? It means in the darker areas of the picture there was a lot more detail. I could see things in shadows that were just black using component. The overall brghtness did not seem to change.

Bottom line is, try both and see what you prefer. Honestly there isn't that much difference.

But if you do get a digital cable, get a DVI to HDMI cable instead of a regular HDMI cable and a DVI adapter. It is one less thing to fail or cause problems.

Yeah I agree! Go ahead and try both on your Tv see what looks best for your TV. They dont all look the same everyone' TV will look diffrent and things will work diffrent from set to set.. Either way just use what you like the best on your set.. :)

sobonefnet - Since you're in Altoona you have several HD and SD channels available to you over the air - have you tried any of those yet? I know you can get 24.1, 24.2, and 24.3 (WATM ABC HD and SD and WWCP FOX SD, respectively) and also 32.2 (WTAJ CBS SD). I get the Ch 24 stuff well and once got 32.2 as well, but that one has disappeared for me. You probably can also get 34.1 and 34.2 (WJAC NBC HD and SD). Those I can't get at all, 55+ miles from me. You might also try 15.2, .2, .3 WPSU PBS. I get those very well!

If you can find out what happened to 32.2 let me know (they're not answering my e-mails). Also - when will they start b'casting HD ??

TIA and have great weekend...

bhelms: I want to check out the over-the-air stuff. BUT I have no clue as far as what antenna to purchase.... Any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)