hdmi to dvi vs. component

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
Can anyone tell me if there is a noticable differnce in quality between a hdmi to dvi cable vs. a component cable. Im using component now and I just cant imagine a pic any clearer. Opinions? Thanks Bob

Quick answer - depends :)

My former TV was a CRT RPTV, and I def. had a better SD picture with DVI vs component. HD was a wash.

My new TV is direct view CRT with HDMI, and I'm getting the cable today, so I'll post later on.

If you have an analog TV (CRT, CRT RPTV, etc), it's probably not a big deal. If you have a digital TV (LCD, Plasma, etc), it probably is more of a deal. Either way, it's worth a trial and error.

BTW - don't fall into the Monster cable trap, as many people sit on the HDMI/DVI fence due to the "cost of the cables" MANY sites (I use pacificable.com, there are others as well) offer cables that are just as good, if not better, for substantially less.

Cable makes a difference!!!!!

I just switched my 811 from componenet to a HDMI-DVI cable yesterday and was amazed at the difference the digital receiver-digital cable-digital Flat panel LCD TV versus the digital-analog cable-back to digital transfer.

The main thing was that the resolution didn't make much of a change but the "Brightness" went through the roof. I had both cables hooked up and switched between the inputs and there was a dramatic brightness difference. Colors are so vibrant!

In my opinion, make the switch!

Clarification

Looks like I mistyped the spelling of component in the previous reply.

Anyway, the dramatic difference was when watching the HD channels. I think it helped the others a little bit but not as dramatic as the HD viewing.

Kurt,

For an LCD panel it gets a little worse than you've depicted...

For an LCD going component out you have:

D/A inside receiver.
Analog out
A/D inside display
Processing
D/A for passing to the panel.

LCD panels are analog devices at this time.

Cheers,

Hmmmmm - I'm getting greenies and weirdness going to HDMI/DVI from component - anyone have this working yet?

<bump>

Would love to know if anyone is using an 811 (or 921, why not) via DVI to an HDMI tv, and whether it's a single cable, or an adapter.

I've got a fairly complicated setup, with:

Dish 811 --> Zektor switcher --> Projector

I have no problems with this, but I don't have an HDMI/DVI adapter in the mix to be honest.

I do have a DVI-HDMI adapter on two other sources and I'm not getting any issues there either.

Cheers,

I think the picture quality depends on what Dish is doing to the software from time to time. There was a time when, strangley enough, component looked better than DVI. After some software revisions, the DVI looks about the same as component. DVI should look better because there is no digital/analog conversion. Go with what looks best on your set.

hancox said:
<bump>

Would love to know if anyone is using an 811 (or 921, why not) via DVI to an HDMI tv, and whether it's a single cable, or an adapter.

I have this arrangement. You need the DVI-HDMI cable for video (DVI is video only) and a regular pair of RCA cables for the audio to drive the TV speakers. I then run an optical cable from the 811 to my audio receiver to decode the dolby digital.

Be aware that I actually prefer the Component cabling quality of the video to the DVI. It just looks better on my Toshiba DLP.

I cannot tell the difference between component and HDMI/DVI.

I think the entertainment industry created DVI just so we cant copy stuff they dont want us to.

I just switched from component to DVI-HDMI. I am using a cable not an adapter and I can tell a big difference especially in SD channels. I am going from the 811 to a Panasonic 30" HD widescreen. Also I did not pay the $120.00 Circuit City wanted for the cable. I bought mine for $20.00 off Ebay and as I said it works great.

Moman19 said:
Be aware that I actually prefer the Component cabling quality of the video to the DVI. It just looks better on my Toshiba DLP.

Question probably not for this forum, but what to heck, I can't get shot. I am seriously thinking of buying a Toshiba 62" DLP TV (62hmx94) I currently have a Toshiba TW65h80 with a DISH 6000. I am wondering if there is that big a difference in a DLP projection TV vs a CRT projection TV? I would also probably purchase a Dish 811 receiver. Thanks for input.

Bill

billhdtv said:
Question probably not for this forum, but what to heck, I can't get shot. I am seriously thinking of buying a Toshiba 62" DLP TV (62hmx94) I currently have a Toshiba TW65h80 with a DISH 6000. I am wondering if there is that big a difference in a DLP projection TV vs a CRT projection TV? I would also probably purchase a Dish 811 receiver. Thanks for input.

Bill

It's like night and day. Trust me. IMHO, CRT is the worst technology. LCD looks great on the Sony & Hitachi sets. But DLP looks the best with richer, darker blacks (which the LCDs cannot do quite as well) and absolutely brilliant colors.

Moman19 said:
It's like night and day. Trust me. IMHO, CRT is the worst technology. LCD looks great on the Sony & Hitachi sets. But DLP looks the best with richer, darker blacks (which the LCDs cannot do quite as well) and absolutely brilliant colors.
I somewhat disagree...I came very close to buying a HLN567W DLP...I ended up buying a 50V500 LCD instead. I had the Sammy and Hitachi side by side and the Hitachi demonstrated it could do blacks a bit better. The Hitachi's dynamic contrast and autoblack control have proven very effective as I see a lot of DLP owners complaining about crushed blacks. Also DLP, though not as noticeable as on a plasma....does suffer from rainbowing effect. The down fall of the LCD is it suffers from screen-door effect. The DLP does have brighter colors but I also see a lot of color wheel complaints of premature failure. When it's all said and done I recommend the extended warranty on either DLP or LCD because of the color wheel and lightsource units.

If you like DLP or LCD you should also check out LCoS.....I would put all three side by side and make up your own mind....after all your talking an average of $3 grand and up and you should buy what you want not what other people prefer...everyone has their own opinion and tastes.

Jason

John Kotches said:
Kurt,

For an LCD panel it gets a little worse than you've depicted...

For an LCD going component out you have:

D/A inside receiver.
Analog out
A/D inside display
Processing
D/A for passing to the panel.

LCD panels are analog devices at this time.

Cheers,

From reviews I've read, some LCD's have massive differences between their inputs and others hardly anything. PC Magazine's latest issue goes over several brands. All that had differences, though, liked the DVI or HD input better.

Moman19 said:

There isn't anything that matches a perfectly setup CRT. Since these are very hard to come by for more than an hour, the other systems are gaining. Also, because of the weight of the glass, you won't find them in screens over 42 inches unless you cheat with a rear or front projection. The DLP or Plasma's are the best when size matters. And nowdays, size matters. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)