HDMI to DVI

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well, does your TV have HDMI or DVI input(s)? If it has HDMI, then you have to have the DVI to HDMI cable, or you can use the DVI-DVI cable with a HDMI adapter for the TV. This is what I had to do for my sony 50" LCD.

I use the optical out of the 811 into my A/V reciever and the RCA audio out of the 811 into my TV...

kluever said:
Then the million dollar question is: What auxillary audio inputs do I use with an HDMI cable on the 3rd gen Samsung DLP, if any? If there is no loss in PQ, I might just stand in the return line and get a DVI-DVI cable and move on. That would give me the option of doing a DVD player HDMI-HDMI later.
If your TV has both DVI & HDMI that is what you should do anyway. Prior to the complete migration to MPEG4 and HTDV only brodcasting by the satellite providers, DVD will remain your best video source. It sounds like from the other posters that the 811 doesn't host an HDMI port, if this is the case you will have to connect audio to an AV receiver, which you should anyway (better signal processing) and you could use the RCA (red and white) connectors or if it is available use an optical connection.

After looking at your manual on www.samsungusa.com, the only way this will work is as follows. DVI from the 811 to DVI to the TV. You will need to use the RCA audio jacks next to the DVI connector on the Sammy to connect to the audio RCA audio input on the 811. The DVI connection is digital, so it will be an excellent picture. HDMI's only advantage is that it combines both audio and digital video. In other words, the quality of the DVI digital video should be the same as the HDMI digtal video.

If you try to use the HDMI connector on the Sammy, then the Sammy assumes the audio is coming through the HDMI connector, as you know now. You can not use a HDMI to DVI cable/adapter, because of the above reason.

ghoff, thank you very much for your research. I went at lunch today and got the DVI-DVI cable. Is dish making any HDTV boxes with HDMI? 942?

Yeah the 942 will have a HDMI! Just because that what most TV maker's are putting on all HDTV Set. As far a video HDMI supports the samething as DVI. So really only diffrence is the way it looks so on.

The only difference between HDMI and DVi is a nicer smaller cable that carries higher bandwidth and also carries digital sound. The answer is, if you have a DVi on your samsung use it, with RCA's for your audio. The ultimate answer is to get a reciever and run your optical from the 811 to it, and the DVi to your DLp.
Later Dude

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)